• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk seal install

I received a new OEM BMW trunk seal the other day. I see the ends are glued together so it's a continuous piece and to install I would have to disconnect the trunk lid supports. I'm fine with doing that but seems it would be easier to just cut the glue bonding the ends together and it might be easier to install if I could slide it on the metal lip and glue it together after it's installed. My original seal has the joint in the middle near the latch but it has long since split and is worn out.

I'm wondering how others have gone about installing a new seal. 

Wow, nice picture, i better invest in some more close pins! You convinced me, I won't cut it, I guess I was just surprised that it was made that way.  I have a bottle of Wurths rubber cement type glue, would that be a good choice?

I picked up 100 clothes pins at Walmart for less than $2 and got 2 tubes of 3m black super weatherstrip adhesive from the automotive section for another $5.

I clipped the new seal on with no adhesive at first and made sure it was just how I wanted it and then I would take off about 10" worth of clips and apply adhesive, reclip and move along like that until I got back to where I started and then left it clipped over night. The next day I pulled the clips off and it was firmly attached.

Oh yeah, there is a little tension on those trunk support bars after you take the nut off so be careful.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 7502 said:

I received a new OEM BMW trunk seal the other day.

Could you take a picture of your OEM seal so that it shows the profile (cross section) as well as possible? I have had hard luck trying to find a trunk seal that actually seals the trunk but have only tried cheaper options so far. 

I wouldn't cut the seal either. You could disconnect the links one by one just for a second to get the seal around.

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

10 hours ago, 7502 said:

Wow, nice picture, i better invest in some more close pins! You convinced me, I won't cut it, I guess I was just surprised that it was made that way.  I have a bottle of Wurths rubber cement type glue, would that be a good choice?

I used Wurth and it was fine. But as Bibm5 said, a good 3M type product from any discount store will save you money...also get a nice semi stuff paint brush, or actually a few of them, to get glue up inside the crack of the seal and to neatly place it on the metal . It can get messy if you try to move too fast and are not careful :)

I do not recall if mine came as a complete "circle" but if it did I would have cut mine because one of my trunk lid hinges has a stripped nut and I could not get it off. But I have had no problems with it separating or otherwise. I like the wash pins idea... certainly cheaper than my investment at Office Depot back then.

IMG_5028.thumb.JPG.49cf947a6690eddba365b44fa0ada418.JPG

Randy

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

Uh…. you can slip it gently behind the trunk lid and not cut it. (slip it over the trunk LID!) Plenty of room, ahead of the hinge assemblies. I've found the non OEM / non Genuine seals to be virtually useless at sealing the trunk lid. Perhaps the BMW ones are better / taller? I choose to glue them on, a few inches at a time. Takes a bit linger, but works for me. 

trunk seal.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

3 hours ago, wegweiser said:

Uh…. you can slip it gently behind the trunk lid and not cut it. (slip it over the trunk LID!) Plenty of room, ahead of the hinge assemblies.

Thanks for posting, Paul - I'd hoped I wasn't the only one!  

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

12 hours ago, Tommy said:

Could you take a picture of your OEM seal so that it shows the profile (cross section) as well as possible? I have had hard luck trying to find a trunk seal that actually seals the trunk but have only tried cheaper options so far. 

I wouldn't cut the seal either. You could disconnect the links one by one just for a second to get the seal around.

I put it in dry at the back just to see how it's going to shape up.  Can't get a good shot of the profile but it seems to stand up OK.

DSC_4355.JPG

DSC_4354.JPG

DSC_4351.JPG

• Like 1

There's got to be a better way. (I don't know what it is)

I'll guarantee you, when the cars were coming down the assembly line, the factory didn't go thru all the rigmarole we are going thru to mount the seals.   They had to keep the assembly line moving.  Another car was coming' along in a minute or two.  

We're missin' sumpin' here. 

Mac. 

I imagine they probably used more of an "instant stick" adhesive but I think if I was the guy that did the seals all day, every day I could probably have it done in about 3 min. It probably went on before the trunk lid which would simplify the process.
The rear quarter glass seals are the ones I hated doing. I would love to see how Hans did those back in the day on the assembly line!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, 7502 said:

I put it in dry at the back just to see how it's going to shape up.  Can't get a good shot of the profile but it seems to stand up OK.

Thanks! It certainly looks better. I will have to do the measurement to compare.

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

4 hours ago, Tommy said:

Thanks! It certainly looks better. I will have to do the measurement to compare.

It looks way better than the Uro seal that I installed. That upper part of the section is basically flat against the lower part on mine. That one looks positively perky!

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/