• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I Do the IE Air Dam?

jrhone

Another Kamei/no bumper convert. When you mount it, make sure the "bumper" is level and not pointed down or smiling.

Link to fender bead that I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FEYGNUS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

green.jpeg

Edited by TodB
  • Like 2

On 8/29/2018 at 10:56 AM, jrhone said:

Ireland Air Dam 

BEB85398-8A0D-4803-872C-E9A66533DB24.thumb.jpeg.d17700a8873814cf3e7b60b3b4c7c34a.jpeg

I do not have an air dam, but from this picture, yours looks to add balance to your front end. 

Some seem too long and especially so, when viewed from the side. 

This seems to have an OEM look.   Do you have a side shot?

I'd go for it.

Light is seriously underrated.

I’m in the same frame of mind as my car is quite standard looking but lowered a little and on eibachs.

Back in the day when I used my cars in Europe on the motorway, you would notice at speed that the air would lift the front of the car and make the steering light, sometimes the car would wander a bit as well.

So from a function perspective they make sense and if done right look good especially on the srl cars.

My brother in law had a pretty tricked up A4s and he actually had his car setup so the nose was slightly lower, he then moved the Alpina spoiler a bit further up the front panel, I must admit at speed the car felt very planted.

Early ownership picture from when Noah was a boy!

But you get the idea.

839B22A0-B002-4C00-A6BA-D8A9813E1FA8.png

Edited by SydneyTii
  • Like 1

For me, the IE setup looks more appropriate with a full turbo flare setup. Since your car still looks relatively stock, I think the IE spoiler alone is overkill.

On a roundie, running a bumper, I think the Koogleworks slim duckbill looks more inline with original design intent of the car and feels like a natural extension of the bottom of the car. I considered all the other options as well, and I decided to go this route when I bought mine. I have yet to install it as I'm in the process of hoarding parts for paint and body work. 

James

IMG_8233.thumb.jpg.163d0851802e686b8c03a55deb29fbd0.jpg

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

21 hours ago, JeffM said:

Just ordered one of Peirre's Kamei repro air dams.  Love the look of chargin's install on the inka car above.  What are folks doing for a gasket and attachment to the front panel?  THX

Those are still available? Tried to contact awhile back and got no reply.

Got a link or contact info?

I don't give a fird gen, carbretted, alyoominiuhm, tickity boo!... wiff an ole in the boot!

TodB thanks for the input - I ordered the EMPI fender beading and will post pix once I get the Kamei repro mounted up.  I have an IE airdam (which I never mounted) but I really prefer the cleaner Kamei and/or Turbo /flares look.  

Just got notification of the air dam shipment from Pierre.  Should be able to test-fit it this weekend!  If it looks right I'll go ahead and put the Zender air dam up for sale.  

Edited by JeffM

I also went with Peirre's Kamei repro air dam.  Picture is from the morning of the last SoCal Vintage meet.

SoCalVintage.jpg

• Like 2

1975 non-purist driver M42 Turbo, Hurricane a/c, and all sorts of cool stuff

1976 2002 sold, 1970 2002 sold, 1969 1600 sold

2 hours ago, TTyMiller said:

I haven't been around the  02 scene for a while but recently got a respray, dropped my shortened '75 front and rear bumpers. 

thumbnail015.jpg

Welcome back!  Still in the DC area?

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

On 1/4/2019 at 10:36 AM, TVeye said:

Those are still available? Tried to contact awhile back and got no reply.

Got a link or contact info?

Try this contact

90127A96-32B0-4E7E-A988-8DD17D9621B3.thumb.jpeg.f57aaaa5ea18482f11eb39499fd576b0.jpeg

Edited by chargin

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook