jrhone

Should I Do the IE Air Dam?

53 posts / 3323 viewsLast Reply

I had the Ireland Air Dam painted when I did the car respray.  I have not mounted it yet.  The reason is I have seen some and it looks well to be honest crappy and then I have seen others and it looks amazing.   So here is a pic of it clamped to the car.  Should I???  Comments please as well as any advice on the install for the best results?

BEB85398-8A0D-4803-872C-E9A66533DB24.thumb.jpeg.d17700a8873814cf3e7b60b3b4c7c34a.jpeg

• Like 1

That looks great in that color!  My only advice is don't park with the front of the car too close to the curb.  I used the same one on our '76 DD and put small round fog lights in the brake cooling vent holes. 

Air Dam Fog Lights.jpg

I think it’s a bit much for your car. I’ve seen it on Instagram and it’s so clean. Have you seen the Kooglewerks front lips? I think the small / short one would look awesome on your car.

(edited)

I personally think it looks tacky, but what does my opinion matter? As long as it suits your tastes!

Below are some pics of my recently mounted, slim aluminum dam from Koogle. I am loving it.

My Wife thinks it’s “hideous.”

E125A03D-9F1F-4C6A-9A8E-0F2D01102243.jpeg

1A8B9605-7FBF-45F4-A54D-A374CBF34B66.jpeg

32B4D996-7A26-48E4-A34D-E5E9B68642AD.jpeg

C5420924-77D2-4F9A-B291-740BAF1CB049.jpeg

Edited by COOP

I believe it has that “factory option” look when the bumper is attached and painted the same color as the car. As others have said, be careful while parking in stalls with parking blocks/stops and parallel parking. Oh yeah don’t cut it close when making u-turns. I say install it and remember it’s there.
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a custom air dam made to look like the CSL street air dam on my '73 3.0 CSi, was stupid expensive to make. Would have been more cost effective to have Koogleworks make me one. When I had the car restored I removed the air dam. Actually like my 2002 without the air dam better. Yet at one time I had 3 to choose from IE, Kamei & the custom one. Sold the IE & Kamei for another CSL street air dam for my CSi.

IMG_1776.jpg

4:9:18.jpg

IMG_1802.jpg

• Like 1

(edited)

I like front spoilers, I have a "Zender" now on my "75", no bumper.

Back in 1985, I had a spoiler on my "73", I can't remember the Mfg. It was fiberglass, and came with a rubber lower lip. It hung down to low, ripped it off a couple of times, gave up on it.

I do like the look of the "Zender", that’s the one that someone should  be replicating.

I got lucky and found a used one back in 2014, it ain’t perfect, but it looks good from 40-feet. It’s fiberglass, so it’s somewhat repairable. I did some reinforcing on the back side with some layers of glass a resin when I first got it.....

A85F857C-D89D-4C75-9D6B-835B51F35D80.png

Edited by Doug Riparetti

I like your car with out it. I agree that air dam can look funky on some cars. Your car's lines are crisp ( what ever that means ) and I think that air dam takes away from your styling. I know you did not ask but I offer up a friendly alternative to spending some money. If I were you my next move would be EFI using the 318 intake and the A.E.M standalone. 

Vince 

I like it, I think it looks period correct for a squarie.  The Koogle looks period correct for the roundies.  I had a Kamei a while back and all I can say is watch those concrete parking blocks.  I just couldn't learn to stop short of them and beat the crap out of my Kamei.

(edited)
2 hours ago, ingramlee said:

I love mine with the bumper. Ran it for a while without the bumper but didn't like that look as much.

Glad to see this photo, I love the 02 bumpers and always wondered about putting mine back on 

Before:

1291090617_preLaguna2016.jpg.9e65ed041ba426123ddb4bb92e16203e.jpg

Now:

IMG_6428.thumb.JPG.3bb3039623c627e953cc7c434b2e3dfe.JPG

Edited by chargin
  • Like 1

Just ordered one of Peirre's Kamei repro air dams.  Love the look of chargin's install on the inka car above.  What are folks doing for a gasket and attachment to the front panel?  THX