• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new $500 ride

visionaut

Tom.  We had a misunderstanding, which will lead to this...

I use wheel studs to make it easier to change the wheels instead of using bolts- so I can just put the wheel on the studs and let it hang while I screw the nuts on...  I, too, hate the noise from the studs- and they really only help on ice...  So yeah, studs in the hubs, not the tires.  (I was trying to figure out how the hell studs in the hubs would be loud...  :)

And when we get a week or 2 of sunshine in the winter I tend to put the summer tires back on to keep the wear off the snow tires, so the studs in the hubs are helpful...

And those wheels are going to look awesome.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Ha! - Dave,  yes we were crosswise on tire studs vs wheel studs.

For changing wheel bolts, I use a handy locator rod tool which makes it easy to mount and check fitment. (see 1st pic)

I too hope to find occasion to swap the summers back on..

So I mounted the new boots this afternoon.  They seem just a bit meatier and meaner looking.  Much quieter than the runflats, nice traction/road-feel.  So now it's proper ready to head upslope as the new ski machine. :ph34r:

Tom

visionaut_TireChangingTools.jpg

Bloo_WinterBootsOn_Side_1600.jpg

Bloo_WinterBootsOn_Front_1600.jpg

Bloo_WinterBootsOn_Rear_1600.jpg

• Like 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

On 10/16/2018 at 4:53 PM, visionaut said:

Finally got the new winter boots today. 

Michelin Alpin PA4s (245/40R18) on Sparco Podio HLTs (18x8et29).

Will mount 'em Friday. Since i'm driving them half the year here, I'm hoping they provide the confidence + fun-factor combo that I like.

Bloo_NewWinterBoots_Med.jpg

I just put these tires in the same size on my F87 M2. Too early for any real weather here, but on dry and wet roads, they’ve been quiet and drive very nicely. Still grip okay in the corners too. No noticeable tread squirm like the blizzaks (don’t recall the exact model) I put on a previous car.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

• 1 month later...

FWIW update: just got back from a skiweek up in Breck. The new blue ski machine done real good. ?

We got dumped with 2ft snow while there (I70 got closed down in both directions on Sat). Between the XDrive and these Pilot Alpins I’m near unstoppable... and like Bento said, I’m super impressed with the ride and handling of these Michelin’s when it’s only cold as well (dry or wet).

(The ski conditions at Breck were amazing, BTW — the most runs/lifts open on Turkeyday I’ve ever seen.)

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2018 at 11:46 PM, irdave said:

Put studs on it if you're going to be swapping wheels back and forth - makes it so much easier.  

I believe Dave was referring to wheel studs (in place of using lug bolts), not tire studs.

Disregard - just read Tom's Oct 18 post.

Edited by John_in_VA
  • Like 1

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Just picked up a second one... :ph34r:

Xmas came early! (never had a model of my exact car before).

--

edited: the orig pic didn't do this little model any justice, so here's a better one. 1/43 scale, very nicely detailed, licensed and sold by BMW AG.

BMW435iGC_Model_HD.jpg

Edited by visionaut
better picture

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Update 2020 (cool, so futuristic):

So my 435 GC went off warranty this past Dec.  The car’s been awesome, and a keeper for sure.

To commemorate - and since I was a good boy this past year - Santa (ahem) decided the 4 should get carbonated, and further M-ified... inside and out. I like it so far — but I think there’s more cf yet, and a good bit more hp too....

?

AD05336A-1F03-4040-AFA1-29943FF5BC80.jpeg

Bloo_Carbonation_Before_Drivers.jpg

Bloo_Carbonation_After_Drivers.jpg

Edited by visionaut
pic went missing??? replaced
  • Like 1

Dave - an x3 for an M2?, not me. I’m so very glad to be back in a car vs SUV.

You know the guys at SCR, huh? I might want look into having them do a bit of work on the 4 for me. Maybe springs and/or sways, maybe an axle-back exhaust... 

I’m waiting on warmer weather to install the M Perf cf front lip and cf rear spoiler Santa brought... then the under-hood goodies get installed.

Yeah, but apparently the x3M is faster than the M2.  And he has several race cars that he needs to be driving.  And he'll probably get something different in a couple years anyway.

Yep, guy that owns the place is a good friend of mine.  They do solid work.  Let me know when you want an introduction- and shop tour- they have so many cool race cars in there.

You should come up before he trades in the M2, it's really impressive.

Dave.

Got it. Well, the x3M is more practical/roomy, and it has the hot new S58 (also to be used in upcoming M3/M4). The x3M Comp variant is uprated to 503hp/442lbft - in a small SUV, that also drives like an M car - that’s nuts. Great review in latest Roundel..

I’m gonna be doing dumb stuff on the 4 today - front sidemarkers switch out (grey to replace the ambers). Tires/wheels need attention.

I gotta come up some time, to hang/drive and maybe check out SCR. I went to one or two Open House events they had there a few years back (in my 02). Nice place, solid rep.

• 1 month later...

That's a cool picture.

Drove an s52 clown shoe today- trying to convince the wife she needs it as a summer car with the '14 STI as the winter car.  Her argument against?  We don't have parking for 4 cars...  Silly car though.  Great ass.

Dave.