visionaut

My new $500 ride

23 posts / 1284 viewsLast Reply

Tom.  We had a misunderstanding, which will lead to this...

I use wheel studs to make it easier to change the wheels instead of using bolts- so I can just put the wheel on the studs and let it hang while I screw the nuts on...  I, too, hate the noise from the studs- and they really only help on ice...  So yeah, studs in the hubs, not the tires.  (I was trying to figure out how the hell studs in the hubs would be loud...  :)

And when we get a week or 2 of sunshine in the winter I tend to put the summer tires back on to keep the wear off the snow tires, so the studs in the hubs are helpful...

And those wheels are going to look awesome.

Ha! - Dave,  yes we were crosswise on tire studs vs wheel studs.

For changing wheel bolts, I use a handy locator rod tool which makes it easy to mount and check fitment. (see 1st pic)

I too hope to find occasion to swap the summers back on..

So I mounted the new boots this afternoon.  They seem just a bit meatier and meaner looking.  Much quieter than the runflats, nice traction/road-feel.  So now it's proper ready to head upslope as the new ski machine. :ph34r:

Tom

visionaut_TireChangingTools.jpg

Bloo_WinterBootsOn_Side_1600.jpg

Bloo_WinterBootsOn_Front_1600.jpg

Bloo_WinterBootsOn_Rear_1600.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 4:53 PM, visionaut said:

Finally got the new winter boots today. 

Michelin Alpin PA4s (245/40R18) on Sparco Podio HLTs (18x8et29).

Will mount 'em Friday. Since i'm driving them half the year here, I'm hoping they provide the confidence + fun-factor combo that I like.

Bloo_NewWinterBoots_Med.jpg

I just put these tires in the same size on my F87 M2. Too early for any real weather here, but on dry and wet roads, they’ve been quiet and drive very nicely. Still grip okay in the corners too. No noticeable tread squirm like the blizzaks (don’t recall the exact model) I put on a previous car.

FWIW update: just got back from a skiweek up in Breck. The new blue ski machine done real good. 😎

We got dumped with 2ft snow while there (I70 got closed down in both directions on Sat). Between the XDrive and these Pilot Alpins I’m near unstoppable... and like Bento said, I’m super impressed with the ride and handling of these Michelin’s when it’s only cold as well (dry or wet).

(The ski conditions at Breck were amazing, BTW — the most runs/lifts open on Turkeyday I’ve ever seen.)

Tom

Nice.  I lived in Breck for 5 years in the early '90s...  And glad the car and tires are doing the job.

On 8/28/2018 at 11:46 PM, irdave said:

Put studs on it if you're going to be swapping wheels back and forth - makes it so much easier.  

I believe Dave was referring to wheel studs (in place of using lug bolts), not tire studs.

Disregard - just read Tom's Oct 18 post.

Edited by John_in_VA
  • Like 1

Just picked up a second one... :ph34r:

Xmas came early! (never had a model of my exact car before).

--

edited: the orig pic didn't do this little model any justice, so here's a better one. 1/43 scale, very nicely detailed, licensed and sold by BMW AG.

BMW435iGC_Model_HD.jpg

Edited by visionaut
better picture