Dusty02

Trailered 02 home. Now trunk smells.

7 posts / 350 viewsLast Reply

Just finished hauling my 02 home. When I opened the trunk to check on the part I tossed in, I noticed it smells of stale gas(sat 30 years). Only smelled of mouse urine before. Is there a vent hose that's known to leak? Also here's a couple pics. 77fa97de5ab2da1b8c6f2d996c108651.jpg30dcb0440ea6bb98570d8f5565ec5d98.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Congrats on the 02, looks to be a good starting point... as for the fuel tank in the trunk, if you unscrew the little screws holding the passenger side fuel tank trunk floor cover... you’ll expose the fuel tank, you’ll see fuel lines there, one is a vent for emissions, the other that connects to the gold fuel sender is the fuel line that runs through the car to the engine bay/carburetor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fabreeze--good for stale gas smells as well as mouse pee...I was able to re-use a back seat cushion that reeked of mouse pee after really dousing it with Fabreeze and letting is sit out (upside down) in the sun for a few days.  Sun alone didn't help.  Same with a back seat carpet soaked with fermented watermelon juice (don't ask how that happened!)

mike

Squeeze the rubber boot on your gas tank filler-

the rubber on those doesn't last forever .

t

The breather line off the filler neck may also be cracked. If the fuel was sloshing around it may have forced some vapor into the trunk area. You can follow it from the filler neck to the canister under the rear deck.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fabreeze--good for stale gas smells as well as mouse pee...I was able to re-use a back seat cushion that reeked of mouse pee after really dousing it with Fabreeze and letting is sit out (upside down) in the sun for a few days.  Sun alone didn't help.  Same with a back seat carpet soaked with fermented watermelon juice (don't ask how that happened!)

mike
K I'll try it. Interior must come out to check the floor and dilute the smell. Seen lotta rancid smelling cars, but never this bad. Smells like the indoor part of a zoo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk