DavidLMM

Looking for fenders, headlight buckets, ashtray, door pulls

10 posts / 811 viewsLast Reply

Hello again,

As the metalwork phase of the restoration is winding down, and the car is about to go to the paint booth, our shop has again asked me to see if any of the following are out there for a Sport Coupe...

Looking for front fenders - ours are serviceable, have been repaired (brazed-in patches) in the past, we'd like better if possible.

Headlight buckets - ours are pretty Swiss-cheesy. Can make from sheet if necessary, trying to save time and labor.

Interior door pulls.

Top of dash ash tray - gray if possible, will redye if needed.

We've looked at oltimerteile.com - while he shows parts, he does not appear to actually have them.

Thanks!

David in Nashville at www.lanemotormuseum.org

David,

Not sure what your budget is, new fenders are available from BMW for about $600 each.  Maximillian Importing

https://www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com/ and the BMW dealer on the south side of Atlanta  have both been very helpful ordering parts through Mobile Tradition.  Buckets are included in the fenders, but maybe you're referring to the parts the sealed beam bulbs sit in?  I've been trying to switch to Euro lights, can't remember if I saved the sealed beam parts.  Will let you know.  Can you post any photos of the car?  As far as door pulls, you might try Elliott Butler, he's just down the road in Watkinsville, Ga., 706 614 7158.  I don't know if Elliott has sold all his parts, I know he was trying.

Scott

Thanks, Scott. $600 fenders would not be a problem. Did not see them pop up as available when we last looked, but can certainly make some calls. I wonder if Elliot sold all his parts to a shop in Ohio - I know someone who told me he bought a lot of stuff out of GA, but so far, I haven't been able to motivate him to do any digging!

Thanks again!

Here it is on the rotisserie...

IMG_20180731_083941014.jpg

IMG_20180731_084131096.jpg

IMG_20180801_093536524.jpg

• Like 1

David,

Here is the link to the fenders, they make it a task to navigate, but hey, they're German, right?

https://www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1544&mospid=47148&btnr=41_1273&hg=41&fg=05

Hope that works for you.  I haven't talked to Elliott in some time, he sounded very frustrated last I did, so I haven't bugged him.  Certainly a wealth of information for the 700 owner.  Think I spent an easy $4,000 when I visited his shop in 2014.  Sorry, I don't have any sealed beam headlight parts I can spare, might have to use them if I can't get the separate reflector and lens Euro lights to work.  No spare door pulls either, pretty sure Elliott had them, reason I suggested him.  Dang, wish I could afford a rotisserie, sure does make the job easier!  Good luck!  Scott

As I was leaving yesterday, the shop guys were trying to load the fenders into the cart, but it didn't seem to accept the order - may be NLA. I suggested they call Max instead, see if they could help. BMW Classics website showed 0 available. We'll see.

They'd already tried Elliott. His parts were in worse shape than what we already have. I need to reach out to my friend in Ohio again, see if he can dig in his piles.

David

That would be funny, David, if it weren't so frustrating!  I just tried, and it looked like it was ready to accept my order.   Maybe they've heard about all the French cars you've restored, and decided they didn't want to be affiliated with your collection?

Sorry, if you've missed out on the fenders.  BMW is the only company I know that will occasionally do a run of parts for their old cars.  About a year ago, they had new Dynastarts available, still kicking my self for not jumping on one of those.  Last I checked, new batteries were available - going to try to find the funds for one.

Scott

Nah, Max can't get any. Said they were going to call Germany and would let us know.

Wish we'd known about the Dynastarts - I can't count how many cars here use them! We've gotten pretty good at repairing, them, though. Did a '57 Isetta for our locksmith a couple of years ago. He was planning to send it back to Germany so he and his wife could second honeymoon, retracing their Isetta travels when they got married when he was in the army.

David

Last I talked to Bill, I believe he said he planned to acquire a 700 DS this summer and see if he could start servicing them.  Might be able to help you with others, just don't push me to the back of the line (please?).

Scott

http://www.isettadoc.com/

David,

If you find new fenders, what are you going to do with the ones you have?

Regards, Ray

Hi Ray,

I don't honestly know - the shop foreman is away for a few weeks vacation. Knowing us, we'll put them on a shelf upstairs until such time as our director goes through on a purge and throws them away without asking what they are for! Seriously, if we do, I will let you know if they become available. They really are decent, just have some small rectangular patches brazed in.

David