• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lee et al...Belts, Cages, and General 02 Safety

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

1. If one doesn't have a rollcage, are 4pt harnesses dangerous?

2. If one has a rollcage, is there an advantage to having 4pt. harnesses for only street driving (is it safer?)

3. If one has a rollcage, is there an advantage

Guest Anonymous

1) I personally whether its 3 4 or 5 pt belt, if ya dont have a roll cage or even bar it wouldnt be the most genius idea to glued to the seat in the event of a rollover. Think if your spine as a third B Pillar.

2)I suppose it could be, since in an 02 anyway there is no air bag it would prevent you from getting a steering wheel incorporated into your head.

3)Advantages? For street use? For a cage, I dont think there would be at all except for maybe the extra side impact protection with the bars there. A roll bar, maybe, for safety if you're paranoid about the car skidding on its lid. Other than that a bunch of honda's might want to race you...

3 Cont)You dont need to, you can use a 3 pt, or a 4, or 5 or even a 6 (5 and 6 have anti submarine/crotch belts). It doesnt matter. You could use the stock belts as far as that goes. The cage is keeping you from getting smashed up so a harness that will hold you in one place, no reel action I think would be a good idea.

For my 02 that is getting an M20 heart transplant I will not be immediately putting in a rollbar so I'll have a 3 point belt with an inertia reel, which can be locked and have no reel action if I desire once I get a bar.

-Justin

2002sig.gif

Guest Anonymous

but it's not a daily driver. It's not convenient to get in and out of.

But a harness is not safe without a roll bar or cage.

Guest Anonymous

1. For most crashes i.e. head one, a harness (without rollover protection) is possibly not an problem as long as the belt is tight. A loose harness increases risk of injury. The risk is a rollover with a harness without rollover protection with the aforementioned spinal compression injuries

2. harnesses really should not be used on the street becuase, unless they are loose, they minimise the freedom of the driver to move (ie turning to look during lane change, reversing, adjusting the radio, etc). If they are loose to facilitate this movement, they increase the risk of injury (ie. body keeps moving at a time the car is de-accelerating, until the slack in the belts is taken up then sudden stop)

3. subject to comments in point 2 above, a harness may minimise your head connectig with the cage.

I am looking at fitting either a 4 point or 6 point cage in my '02. In Australia, this has to be approved by the registration authorities and I'll need to get a engineer to approve the cage. I need to demonstrate that no part of the body will come into contact with the cage in the normal seating position with standard seatbelts and I'll need foam covering on the bars if it comes close.

Guest Anonymous

My view is that for a street car the highest likelyhood is for a side, frontal or rear impact collision and you would be safer with a four point harness. Combined with the physics of how a standard angled shoulder belt twists your body in a frontal impact you would be kept in a straight ahead position instead of twisting one should abrubtly ahead of the other (personal experience, 17yr old decided to turn left in front of me)

With a cage in street car I agree the head is vulnerable because of potential contact with the cage itself, and you should have a 4pt harness if you are concerned with maximum safety.

I disagree with the theory of increased risk of injury having a harness with no cage for a street car since as I mentioned the most common collisions are front, side, and rear impacts, not rollovers.

In my race car I have a full cage with a 5pt harness which is basically adding the sub belt between your legs so you dont slide forward.

You are safer with a cage regardless of what belt system you use, and you are safer with a harness whether its a 4pt or 5pt And you are the safest with a cage and a 5pt, but as was mentioned your movement is drastically impaired so you better have a good wink mirror and back up beepers *S* MHO of course

In my 68 I still only have lap belts so maybe its better to just leave the damn thing off and wear my MSR rock climbing helmet ;-)

Brian C

Guest Anonymous

First off.. this is a 34 year old car... my 1970 doesn't even have steel fenders.. they're fiberglass.. there are no side impact beams... probably only one sheet of 18 gauge steel keeping me from the other guy in a side impact... this is like discussing side impact safety on a lotus super 7... no matter what people say.. in a side impact these cars are not safe.. a 6 point cage won't help.. front and rear impacts are the ones that are more common... the 02 is proven to be a fairly well designed car when it comes to this department... as for rollovers.. if you run a harness... run a roll bar in the back.. and count your prayers.. rollovers in these cars can be lucky or unlucky.. you take your chances... Just like rolling over in your daily driver mini van might be ok or it might crumble.. I'm putting in a fuel cell for good measure.. and because my stock gas tank rides 7" from the road... needless.. put in as much safety as you can afford if you plan on tracking/autoxin your car... if you NEED a 4 point harness... then you probably need some other stuff like fire extinquiser.. and atleast a roll bar..

Guest Anonymous

Rather, use a roll bar (note the distinction between roll cage and roll bar). You'll mash your head on the celing bars of a roll cage.