Dudeland

Non-BMW in tank EFI pumps.

21 posts / 740 viewsLast Reply

Has anybody installed a non-BMW in-tank EFI pump?  I amm doing a Sniper efi on my car next month, and am looking for options other than an external one.  The Holley ones that come with the master kit seem to be an issue.  I also like the noise being isolated inside the tank. 

Regards

Couldn't you use in-tank EFI pump from a BMW 318 or early M3?  Don't forget the inertia cut-off switch in your plans.

Mark92131

07126584-1142807.jpg

Thanks and yes to both questions.    I am not sure how picky the sniper is. It needs a minimum of 60 psi and these I think produce only 52. 

I already have an inertia switch as I am running a carter rotary electric fuel pump.  

I like the aftermarket as they play well with AN style fittings that I already have.

I'm sure you could find an in-tank pump with the right depth and PSI and with a little grinding and welding, adapt it to your existing tank.  I, for one, don't have the welding skills to pull that off and will likely use the BMW 318I in-tank pump for my S14 conversion.  Hopefully, someone has already done a non-BMW in-tank fuel pump conversion and can share their knowledge.

Mark92131

(edited)

You might be able to get by with a 3 bar pump in lieu of a 4 bar pump on a 2 liter engine because the application list on Holley's site is for 4 liter and larger engines.

Edited by jimk

The Walbro pumps might work for you.  They are available separately or in adaptable kit form.

No need to go to a 50 gal per hour pump when an 02 burns only 14 gal per hour.

From what I can tell is that it is a combination of flow rate and pressure. Pressure and volume being inversely proportionate it is more tricky to pick the correct pump. I guess that is why aeromotive sells $1500 pumps.

I fully expect that I will need a little fabrication. All this has got me thinking of a fuel cell as it would be safer in a rear collision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might be able to get by with a 3 bar pump in lieu of a 4 bar pump on a 2 liter engine because the application list on Holley's site is for 4 liter and larger engines.

I agree but you would need one that is not internally regulated as the sniper has a pressure regulator built into the throttle body.

Are you planning on running the Holly Sniper 2300?  I thought this might be a great complement to the 123 Ignition distributor for upgrading fuel delivery and spark.  Looks super easy to install, do they have an adapter plate for Weber 2 barrel?  Hopefully you will document the process for others to follow.

Have fun.

Mark92131

2 hours ago, Dudeland said:

I agree but you would need one that is not internally regulated as the sniper has a pressure regulator built into the throttle body.

Pumps are not internally pressure regulated.  They pump against some resistance to develope the head.  The sniper has a std fuel pressure control setup as is seen on port injected EFI except I doubt the FPR is pressure adjustable.

The injectors are going to be huge for a 2 liter engine and suggest the supplier/mfr be consulted if they will control down to the low flow for a 2 liter.

Pumps are not internally pressure regulated.  They pump against some resistance to develope the head.  The sniper has a std fuel pressure control setup as is seen on port injected EFI except I doubt the FPR is pressure adjustable.
The injectors are going to be huge for a 2 liter engine and suggest the supplier/mfr be consulted if they will control down to the low flow for a 2 liter.

I have asked and they said no problem. Something to confirm again before purchase.

Again I am out of my depth. The pumps that I am referring to are the ones for carb applications, specifically the ones built for dead end applications.

Are you planning on running the Holly Sniper 2300?  I thought this might be a great complement to the 123 Ignition distributor for upgrading fuel delivery and spark.  Looks super easy to install, do they have an adapter plate for Weber 2 barrel?  Hopefully you will document the process for others to follow.

Have fun.

Mark92131

The funny thing is that you don’t need a 123, in fact it is a waste of money. The sniper will control spark, so all you need to do is get a standard dizzy and lock it out. This can be done by just welding the centrifugal advance (or bolt it). You will still have to make sure that the dizzy is within tolerances in terms of shaft play et.al.

The super fancy application would be a crank trigger with individual non-batch fired coils. Chevy based LS coils seem to be a favourite based on performance and availability.

Have fun.

Mark92131

They do have a plate that adapts the Holley 2300 to a Weber base. Considering that I will have to hog out the intake to fit the 2x40mm butterflies, I may have my intake machined to take it directly without an adapter. This saves height so I can adapt the stock air cleaner so there is more clearance between the top of the intake and the bottom of the air cleaner lid.

The Holley Sniper is actually shorter than a 32/36 carb.

4 hours ago, jimk said:

Ok so after looking at stuff on the Holley website all I can say is that I am building significant carts in summit, gfb, I.E and Rogers websites simultaneously to cover my bases if she needs to flow more.