• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

81 e21 323i calipers and 13" steel wheels. ???

vinceg14

This happens to be a few questions about fitment and  modifications using front and rear 323i calipers and disk brakes on a 1975 2002 chassis. I do have the front and rear sub frames complete with the arms, hubs, struts ect. I want to use widened e21 13" steel wheels. What modifications do I need to do to the stock 2002 to be able to use these calipers? will it work?  Is there an alternative?

59283d91659f6_red2002withextremerolledfe_red2002withextremerolledfenders.JPG.2346eb5b6f9db467d145727df9323ac7.JPG

Thanks 

I would try mounting the E21 13" steel rim on your assembled subframes to see if they will clear the 323i calipers.  I believe the E21 rims were ET18, same as the turbine alloy for the 320i, but should fit without suspension or fender clearance issues (I run the turbines on my cab).  As for widening the E21 rims, others will most likely share their experiences and caveats with this process.  With the possible caliper clearance issue and lack of 13" tires, maybe widen 14" steel wheels from a BMW E30 would be an option.  If you need more 13" steel rims, I have an extra set in San Diego.

Mark92131

imageproxy (2).jpg

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

While I can't give you a recipe for success, I can offer some info.

Steve's car as pictured above is running stock brakes with the 6.5" Borranis. The fenders had to be pulled to stop rubbing. 

On Brando's S52 touring, he was running E21 brakes and ran into fitment issues with his widened 13" 02 steelies. The inner barrel profile was the biggest hurdle. He said that you could probably grind down a some high spots on the calipers to make the wheels fit, but clearance would be extremely tight. He opted to revert back to stock brakes. Inner fenders had to get rolled to stop rubbing. He was initially trying to find a set of 14" NK steelies, but rolled the dice on the 13s. The best advice I can give is either go with 14" steelies, or be prepared for trial and error (and grinding) to get the 13s to fit. The inner barrel profile may be different enough depending on how the wheels are widened on the E21 steelies. 

tickle.jpg

tickle2.JPG

Edited by DealinDave

www.blunttech.com

DealinDave@blunttech.com

The inner barrel profile was the biggest hurdle. He said that you could probably grind down a some high spots on the calipers to make the wheels fit, but clearance would be extremely tight. He opted to revert back to stock brakes. Inner fenders had to get rolled to stop rubbing. He was initially trying to find a set of 14" NK steelies, but rolled the dice on the 13s. The best advice I can give is either go with 14" steelies.

DealinDave, are the 14" steel NK wheels common? I do like the wheel size on the 02. I am not a fan of the e30 bottle caps but the size looks great.  

17 hours ago, vinceg14 said:

DealinDave, are the 14" steel NK wheels common? I do like the wheel size on the 02. I am not a fan of the e30 bottle caps but the size looks great.  

They aren't unfortunately. A lack of easy access to them is the main reason he decided to roll the dice on the 13's. You might have better luck rustling up a set of them out in CA though. There are a lot more sources out there that might have what you need as opposed to here in MN. 

www.blunttech.com

DealinDave@blunttech.com

For a point of reference, it took me 6 months of turning over rocks before I found a set of 14" NK wheels.  They are out there, but those that have them generally don't want to sell them.

Also, to gain a little more clearance, you could look for a set of the Alfa Romeo aluminum brembo calipers (they would bolt onto your vented-rotor setup).  They are popular with the vintage Porsche crowd.  I have test fit every "small" big brake kit and found them to offer more overall clearance than any other combination.  They will even fit under my 13" Diana wheels with a small spacer.  Not saying they will work for you, but if anything would have the remotest chance of working, it would be these.

This is the set I'm restoring.  They are the later variety (there are early/late varieties, but they have the same dimensions).

30205188238_dc7343a666_c.jpg

best of luck.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

Alfa Romeo aluminum brembo calipers

Andrew,

These show up in many application listings as being the same as the '77 320i calipers, though not in the aluminum form.  How do they compare to the 320i versions?

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

These calipers and the early 320i's share the same pads and are extremely similar physically.  The main difference being the weight.  It's interesting to see how many of the BMW, Alfa, Porsche, Volvo calipers are interchangeable.  There's a lot of great info out there from the 914 guys, early911reg., PMB, and Centerline.

• Alpina

I ran the Alfa alu calipers for ages(until I wrecked the car). The fit most if not all 13” wheels. Believe they’re from a GTV6. I believe mine are the early version 

This setup will be going into my 67’ 1800 once I heal from shoulder surgery. 

E0CC895B-A88E-42A8-A023-6DED17D0C4D6.jpeg

4EFAB73A-8B5B-4207-9A9E-4FD7CFDC53B1.jpeg

• Like 3

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.instagram.com/mojojoy

1968 BMW 2002 (Bristol/Granada)

1969 BMW 2000 NK (Florida)

1971 BMW 2000tii Touring Malaga (Restoring)