Least Aerodynamic

Types of Dashboards

33 posts / 1501 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

There were four major variations (not including the Tii-clock cut-out).  I will continue to edit and add pictures of each (pictures by yours truly, unless otherwise stated).

1) Early-early Chrome-trimmed 3-piece dash  (separate sections for gauge surround, lower section, and upper section)

2) Early-ish 3-piece dash (separate sections for gauge surround, lower section, and upper section)

36940650495_e4b43150ea_c.jpg

3) Mid 2-piece dash (separate sections for upper and lower. The gauge surround was integrated into the upper section.)

38695701020_96dee7f695_c.jpg

38268052641_698e61cba2_c.jpg

4) Late 1-piece dash (all combined into one piece. no split-seams)

30183536758_f192b09141_c.jpg

39222545114_268283cf1e_c.jpg

As an extra tid-bit.... underneath, there were two different body-support structure types (that I am aware of), the changeover occurred with the round-to-square change.

Edited by AceAndrew
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There was one additional, minor variation--the very earliest 1600s used a hard plastic instrument binnacle vs the later padded one that matched the rest of the dash.  Dunno when that changeover occurred as I've only seen a few of the hard plastic ones, but I know that at least the later '67s had the soft (padded) binnacles.  .I suspect the factory discovered the hard plastic binnacles warped very quickly in hot sun, and switched over to the padded ones pretty early in production.

41 minutes ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

Out of curiosity, do all 4 dashes fit into both roundie and squaire bodies?

As far as I know, yes.  I know for sure that  late (one-piece) dashes fit into roundies, and three piece and two piece dashes (early and late roundies) interchange.  I would suppose (but don't know for absolute sure) that a 2 or 3 piece dash will go into a squarelight (1 piece dash).  I'm sure someone on the FAQ has done (or attempted to do) this.  

mike 

(edited)
1 hour ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

Good info, thanks @AceAndrew!  Out of curiosity, do all 4 dashes fit into both roundie and squaire bodies?

Yes, although some finagling may be required and you have to deal with (a.) the various heater/defroster slide controls, (b.) changes in the instrument cluster mount, and (c.) the four control knobs flanking the instrument cluster (two on either side) change somewhat in their functions over time.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

(edited)

Very interesting Mike, I wonder if any other minutia was also changed at the same time (like the early glove box variations).

As for the dash interchangeability, I know that the early chrome dash would not fit in the later square-tail because of the ash tray.  The roundie dash structure had a cutout and mounting provisions, the square tail structure does not.  As for a 2-piece or 3piece into a later car (or vise versa), physically it all fits (and there are mounting provisions), but you need to fiddle with the Heater Box controls as mounting them gets tricky.  The mounting pegs for the gauge clusters are also different lengths between the variations.

Edit: dang it, foiled again by not refreshing post before posting.  Steve's got it.

Edited by AceAndrew

(edited)

Let me start by saying thank you, for both asking this question and, of course, for the great answers provided already.

While we have this subject open, however, can we try to put some dates on the 5 styles, e.g., here’s a first stab, to be refined with others’ knowledge.

1. The Early-early chrome-trimmed 3-piece dash (with vinyl-covered binnacle) [Amended] is used on all cars from the beginning of ‘02 production in March 1966 until the end of November 1966. Anders, in The ‘66 Bible on the UK forum, says that all 150xxxx cars have the hard plastic binnacle and 150xxxx production ends in November 1966.

2.  The Early-early chrome-trimmed 3-piece dash (with hard plastic binnacle) [Amended] is used on U.S. cars from the beginning of December 1966 (beginning with the 151xxxx cars, according to Anders in The ‘66 Bible) until late in the 1967 calendar year, certainly into September 1967 (meaning very early U.S. 1968 models received these dashes). It is used on Euro-spec cars from December 1966 until April 1971, when the Modell 71 is introduced.

3. The Early-ish 3-piece dash is used on U.S. cars from late 1967 (possibly September 1967) until April 1971, when the Modell 71 is introduced.

4. The Mid 2-piece dash is used on all cars from April 1971 until August 1973. If that’s true, then it is The Modell 71 dash.

5. The Late 1-piece dash is used on all cars from September 1973 through the end of ‘02 production in 1977 (with the Euro-only 1502).  It is The square taillight dash.

Let’s nail down these dates for once and for all!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Anders, in The ‘66 Bible on the UK forum, says that all 150xxxx cars have the hard plastic binnacle and 150xxxx production ends in November 1966.

That explains why I've seen so few hard plastic binnacles--those 150xxxx cars are very uncommon in the US--and I suspect owners replaced their warped plastic binnacles with the later padded ones.  But the cutoff date of Nov 66 indicates that the early model year 67s had hard plastic binnacles--another example of BMW using up stock--just like they did with the chrome-trimmed dashboards.  

Federal regs governing shiny chrome (that could reflect into driver's eyes) didn't take effect until 1 Jan 1968, so BMW didn't feel the need to change their cars 'till then--thus the "early" and "late" '68 cars (pre and post 1 Jan).  They did the same thing in 1969--early and late '69 model year cars--changeover on '69 2002s was 1664761.  

Doncha just love this minutia?  BTW--what's the site address for Anders' "66 Bible"?

mike

• Like 1

(edited)
46 minutes ago, mike said:

That explains why I've seen so few hard plastic binnacles--those 150xxxx cars are very uncommon in the US--and I suspect owners replaced their warped plastic binnacles with the later padded ones.  But the cutoff date of Nov 66 indicates that the early model year 67s had hard plastic binnacles--another example of BMW using up stock--just like they did with the chrome-trimmed dashboards.  

Federal regs governing shiny chrome (that could reflect into driver's eyes) didn't take effect until 1 Jan 1968, so BMW didn't feel the need to change their cars 'till then--thus the "early" and "late" '68 cars (pre and post 1 Jan).  They did the same thing in 1969--early and late '69 model year cars--changeover on '69 2002s was 1664761.  

Doncha just love this minutia?  BTW--what's the site address for Anders' "66 Bible"?

mike

Mike,

Yes, I love this minutia! What’s wrong with us?

Anders makes the argument that, despite BMW’s usual commencement of model years in September, the 1967 model year, at least for the 1600-2, commenced in December 1966, with the 151xxxx series of cars. Jim’s (jimk’s) point regarding U.S. standards could well be an answer, as so many of BMW’s “upgrades” precede “drop-dead” dates of January 1 used by many U.S. regulations.

Shoot....yes, I believe they also switched from the beautiful aluminum billet interior rear view mirror bracket to the softer “modern” version at that same time! That also could have been motivated by safety regulations...

Here’s the link to The ‘66 Bible:

http://02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8603

Unfortunately, with so darned few 150xxxx cars in the U.S., it would be....challenging to find out whether those manufactured from September through November were originally titled as 1966 models or 1967 models.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Greatly appreciate all the feedback! I was not expecting this type of response. I will check my dash later and find out what I have. The gauge cluster has a wooden fascia with the emergency light switch to the far left facing upwards.

(edited)
7 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

1) Early-early Chrome-trimmed 3-piece dash  (separate sections for gauge surround, lower section, and upper section)

Here's a picture of the chrome-trimmed 3 piece dash with soft binnacle for reference.  Some of the early 1600, had chrome treatment around the panel holding the instruments, but I don't know if this was a feature of the hard plastic binnacle, or something that was featured on the soft binnacle cars and later phased out when federal regulations didn't appreciate the reflective nature of the chrome.  This early Hoffman ad features the chrome instrument face plate.

Mark92131

Cab08_058.jpg

IMG_2344.thumb.JPG.94991b1d8c37b78498f78678c3d8a1d1.JPG

Edited by Mark92131

Mark92131, do you know why that picture has a tii clock?  I'm assuming it was added by the owner.

1 hour ago, g_force said:

Mark92131, do you know why that picture has a tii clock?  I'm assuming it was added by the owner.

I have seen several Cabs with Tii clocks.  I am assuming a popular upgrade for the Euro crowd?

Mark92131

Cab08_188.jpg

(edited)

Excuse me! Are you callin’ me a Euro... ? 😋

It was common here, too.  I got the idea for my ‘76 from other ‘02’s I saw after the tii’s arrived in late 1971.

Regards,

Steve

04A9C4C7-6BD6-495A-9C84-E64605145768.jpeg

1254FC86-11A8-4B28-B70C-713C350EE917.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2