5 sp OD rebuild

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Does anyone know of a shop(s) in the SF Bay Area that could rebuild my 1980 5 sp OD transmission (Getrag 245)?  It is from an e21 and is the correct version for putting into my 1974 2002!  No one in Santa Rosa, where i live knows how to fix this transmission.

Hi Steve--

I recall that someone recommend a shop in Hayward a few years ago to rebuild a differential, but I do not recall the shop name.  Perhaps a local tech knows the name.

I understand your concern.  I still recall taking my late '73 to the dealer (Century BMW) for it's first tune-up and their "best" mechanic had a 4-speed open on his bench as he tried to make his repair work.  A few years later, the "best" mechanic at the Scottsdale, AZ dealer rebuilt my transmission to replace a bunged output shaft (damaged by a loose output flange) and until Sean Casey installed a 5-speed decades later, that 4-speed had an occasional 1-st gear lockout.

Larry

I would probably ask one of the Bay Area BMW repair places, like Bill Arnold in Novato, where he would send a tranny out to get repaired.  I trust someone like that to give you an honest answer to what shops he uses for those repairs.

Bill Arnold in Novato, A1 Imports in San Rafael, Phaedrus in SF, H&B in Berkeley, Motorspeed West in Santa Clara...

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk