• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Solex to Weber - Throttle connection

Acid House

Hey there I’m pretty much finished with my solex to Weber 32/36 conversion and the last thing I need to do is tie in the throttle rod, but the design is slightly different 90 degrees off. 

I searched but couldn’t find a thread on this specific issue, how did some of you solve this incompatibility?  Am I going to have to fab something up or is there a simpler tried and true method using existing bits?

Edited by Acid House

'86 e28 535i - Schwartz on Schwartz "Daily Driver"

'72 e10 2002 - In Progress "Go-Box"

Presume you're replacing a 2 bbl Solex with a 2 bbl Weber...

I did this a long time ago (1979), but IIRC I just removed the bracket from the Solex and bolted it onto the Weber's primary barrel throttle shaft, and it worked just fine.  It's possible that the new Webers are made differently, but I don't think so...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

It’s a 1bl solex so the rod bends straight up but I need it at 90 degrees towards the driver side. I adjusted it a little with the linkages to the pedal and I got it in there but I don’t think it’s perfect yet.

Edited by Acid House

3 hours ago, Stevenc22 said:

Take a picture. Can you not loosed the bracket on the weber and adjust its orientation?

Ill get some pictures today. The way the bracket connects to the Weber can only go towards driver or 180 degrees to passenger. The rod is perpendicular pointing straight up.

Ive got it roughly connected but I can’t get it to run except on starting fluid or fuel dumped into the barrel. Despite this I can see the carb functioning properly as it dumps fuel down when I press the throttle, yet won’t run on its own yet for some reason. It’s been years since I had a weber so I have to relearn the thing.

I'm sure this is a silly presumption, but you do of course have the proper two barrel manifold your you new Weber carb; otherwise it'll never, ever fit!

Suggest going to realoem.com and look at the accelerator linkage pieces for the one barrel and two barrel setups.  I do know that the two barrel Solex pieces work just fine with the two barrel Weber, and with so many folks converting to Webers from Solexes, once you know which pieces you need, it should be easy to find 'em.  I think you'll onlyl need the piece that bolts to the carburetor's primary barrel shaft...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

You need the linkage shaft for a 2 barrel that points to the drivers side and the ball that has a hex that screws onto the throttle shaft.  I have a linkage shaft available but on ball that the linkage shaft snaps onto...There are other posts on here with pics that shows the setup.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Yeah I put the manifold and water choke lines in and bolted everything together, looks like I need the linkage from a 2 barrel solex since mine was originally a single barrel.