m6smitten

Engine Block Stamp

16 posts / 1140 viewsLast Reply

I have seen some machine shops that mark blocks that they work on, this may be something like that.  I have never seen a block come from BMW marked like that by them. I stamp my race engines to keep track of them. 

I had seen this post while I was doing some research a couple months ago.  

Also there was another thread I can't find at the moment (it was more recent) where there was nothing stamped on the flat above the starter but the digits stamped near the timing hole suggested it might have been a BMW remanufactured engine.  

The block is stamped with the VIN by the starter too. Probably a factory rebuild.08191F97-1D89-4737-9282-68063B84C857.thumb.jpeg.63f980d2e39795829ce4311a0433e854.jpeg

Like this?

It is a factory remanufactured long or short block.

IIRC:

22T= turbo

A= remanufactured

5 80= may of 1980

In my case, I have the paperwork that shows the correspondance between th eowner and the BMW dealer. It was more to rebuild the OE engine than it was to order a long block through BMW, so he went that way.

The head casting is dated in October of 1973 which is after the manufacture date of July, and is / was full thickness.

HTH

Ted

P4104485 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1939 (Medium).JPG

I forgot to add that on the VIN boss there are different markings, but the block is not here to document that.

Also there is another stamping number on the exhaust side where the bell housing bolts up seen here:

Id wager that your block was reconditioned in April of 1980

Looking here: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=2291-EUR-07-1974-114-BMW-2002turbo&diagId=11_2359

You can see the 22T A designation.

P4104491 (Medium).JPG

If you read the link posted it says that on the VIN boss similar numbers are stamped there too.

My engine was replaced at about 136166 Km. due to "lack of compression".

(edited)

While I can’t add much, I do believe the “22T A   4  8” — at least that’s what I’m reading — translates into a turbo engine, remanufactured April 1978, April 1988, or even April 1998. If the head currently on the engine is the same one installed at the time of the remanufacturing (the heads were frequently new on these remanufactured engines), the casting date of the head might further narrow the remanufacturing date, e.g., a 1982 replacement head obviously couldn’t be installed in April 1978...

I base this interpretation on the following BMW T.R.I. (Technical Reference Information) issued in October 1990, amending T.R.I. 11 02 84 (of October 1985), which, itself, documented a remanufactured engine identification policy in place since 1978. These particular T.R.I.’s address the U.S. market.  On Page 4 of the October 1990 T.R.I., “A  12  7” is decoded as an engine remanufactured December 1987.  (Einspritz’s May 1980 stamp [“5  80”], however, is distinguishable from m6smitten’s April 19?8 stamp [“4   8']. It’s all about the spaces...)

In short, the first number after the “A” for “remanufactured” is the month and the second number, where there is only a single digit, is the last digit of the year. I’m guessing BMW, in 1978, didn’t envision remanufacturing ‘02 engines for more than a decade after production ended....

Four-digit codes stamped on factory remanufactured engines are generally factory-assigned serial numbers for the remanufactured engines, but I can’t tell whether those serial numbers reset to zero daily, monthly, annually, or never.  The T.R.I. of October 1990 mentions a daily serial number reset (Page 4), but 4-digit serial numbers and daily resets don't appear to go to together -- at least not to my mind.  Could they really crank out 1,000 to 9,999 remanufactured engines, per day?

I commonly have seen these remanufactured engine codes on either the original engine number boss, or, as with m6smitten’s engine, the narrow shelf of the block just aft of the head. Below, a U.S. tii engine (“21TIUS”), serial number 5039, remanufactured October 1987, or, possibly, October 1997 (“A  107”) — the block was, surprisingly, a 1982 casting.  The part number was 1100 9 056 520, which is an “exchange short engine” for a U.S. tii. 

Regards,

Steve

NOTE: My Amazonbooks url isn’t currently saving to this forum, so the attached PDF version of the T.R.I. is the best I can do. 

BMW TRI October 1990 Engine PDF.pdf

C0949C9A-F225-4A04-BF87-0E017A92ADE7.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

My '73 tii has a factory replacement block.  I wonder what these marks reveal...  The block was cast with the EB Foundry Mark.  I suspect that 2 D 74 is 2 April 1974.  Marking 1 is A  3   6.  Marking 2 has the BMW logo and 23 E US.  Further down the mounting is the stamp '5413'.

Engine Block Marking 1.jpg

Engine Block Marking 2.jpg

Engine Block Clock Marking.jpg

Engine Block Marking - '5413'.jpg

Enginge Block 2D 74 poss April 2 74.jpg

On 8/11/2018 at 3:57 PM, Conserv said:

Four-digit codes stamped on factory remanufactured engines are generally factory-assigned serial numbers for the remanufactured engines, but I can’t tell whether those serial numbers reset to zero daily, monthly, annually, or never.

I think that it is it.

In my case, 8591; please see above.

• Like 1

(edited)
On 11/8/2018 at 11:32 AM, David Layton said:

My '73 tii has a factory replacement block.  I wonder what these marks reveal...  The block was cast with the EB Foundry Mark.  I suspect that 2 D 74 is 2 April 1974.  Marking 1 is A  3   6.  Marking 2 has the BMW logo and 23 E US.  Further down the mounting is the stamp '5413'.

Engine Block Marking 1.jpg

Engine Block Marking 2.jpg

Engine Block Clock Marking.jpg

Engine Block Marking - '5413'.jpg

Enginge Block 2D 74 poss April 2 74.jpg

David,

Yes, your tii’s block was cast on April 2, 1974 (“2D” in oval frame, adjacent to “74”).

”A” indicates a factory-remanufactured (a.k.a., factory-exchange) engine. “3” should be the month of the remanufacturing: March. And “6” should be the final digit of the year of manufacturing: 1986, or, maybe 1996. I suspect ‘02 M10 rebuilding continued at least a decade longer than BMW ever anticipated, hence their reliance on a single-digit year code.

”23 E US” is a code for the engine, translatable into a BMW remanufactured part number. Unfortunately, the October 1990 T.R.I. of which we have a copy doesn’t show that particular code and part number. See the top of page 6 for the ‘02 codes and corresponding part numbers.

BMW TRI October 1990 Engine PDF.pdf

”5413” is the serial number of your particular engine, as assigned to it during the remanufacturing process.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv