• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Child Safety Seats - ongoing research

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've used the search and tried to do my homework

here and elsewhere on the web... hopefully some

of your comments can firm up my plan.

Expecting a baby this summer and trying to figure

out baby seat positioning and logistics in my '76.

Research suggests infant should be in rear seat

and facing the rear and preferably in the centre of

the seat.

Lots 'o questions:

Is there a good way to install a centre lap belt?

Would a three point (lap and shoulder belt)

installed on the side be safer than just a lap belt in

the middle? Since obviously no airbag, would front

be safe since the doors have a decent

reinforcement beam there - perhaps more than

back seat area in case of side impact? Is a 5

series (or something) just plain more responsible

a choice for carting around a newborn?

Any comments at all - all opinions - would be very

much appreciated.

Trevor

Guest Anonymous

Once our son was born, my wife wanted a 4 door. Sold her tii and got a 325e as the primary family car. We still used my 2002 and M3 as secondary cars, but reaching over the front seats to get the kid in or out got old real fast.

The rear seat lap belt will work for mounting the seat, and you should be able to add an upper anchor to the parcel shelf. Make sure it is reinforced with a suitable metal sheet or excessivly large washers to spread the load.

I remember we got 2 seats, one for each car to eliminate the constant swapping back and forth as one of us would drop off and the other would pick up at day care.

Can't remember the brand, but they were French with a nice contoured seat and 5 point harness. Don't bother with those that swivel, we never used that feature.

I just saw that Recaro has some child seats out. Get the wife thinking that Recaro = child seat, then when you buy the "big kid" Recaros, she won't be any wiser.

Guest Anonymous

have had the recaro for about two years and and it works great. worth the $$ as it has obviated the need to buy different seats as the 'boy' grows...

Guest Anonymous

I'm a new dad, and my baby doesn't ride in the '02 b/c it makes too many car smells and my wife won't have it. Instead she rides in my wife's latch equiped (post 2000) 4-door VW or my late 90's 2-door E36 (no latch). Therefore, I have no first hand knowledge of rearward facing baby seats in an '02.

When in the 2-door E36, I mount the child seat in the center of the rear seat b/c it is supposed to be the safest. It's also the hardest to get the baby in and out of (major baby and daddy contortions required), and you can't easily access the baby if the seat is rearward facing (rearward facing until they're 1yr and about 20lbs). Access to the baby while driving is the biggest issue b/c when they're realy young you want to be able to see them and make sure their neck is not bent funny or to hand them a toy, bottle, etc. B/c access is so difficult in my 2-door E36, the baby has only ridden in it a few times.

I can imagine an '02 with a rearward facing baby seat would be a bit better b/c of the tall '02 greenhouse, but still a pain. Therefore, if you can afford it, buy your wife (or whoever will be carting the baby around most) a 4-door vehicle. An E28 would be a good choice.

On mounting a third seat belt in the rear vs mouting the baby seat in the front, if you feel you can solidly mount a third belt in the rear, I'd do that. They make generic latch retrofit kits that could possibly work. The front seat is a bad idea b/c the seats fold forward, and in a wreck could fold forward onto the baby.

Have fun at the birth. Babies are really cool.

Josh

Guest Anonymous

My daughter is almost two and in a Britax. We have one in the e34 535 and another in the Suburban. I cannot see putting her in the tii as safety is the first priority. The seats are not cheap compared to others, but I figure she will be in the chair for many years. The Britax seats have a very high safety rating. Good Luck and Congratulations!

Guest Anonymous

Its very difficult to get a rear-facing car seat in the 2002. I tried it with my youngest son a few years ago and it didn't sit properly. The two biggest problems were:

1. Lack of space front-to-rear which caused the seat to sit at an angle.

2. The rear seat belts extend up too far from the seat bottom. Look at a modern car...the buckle is very close to the seat. On the 02, the buckle ends up being too close to where the belt goes through the child seat and it can't be tightened up enough.

Once they graduate to a front-facing seat, it could probably be put up front pretty safely, the rears are still difficult to latch in safely because of the buckle problem. Booster seats (around age 4) would be just fine in the back.

I suspect in the 02, the front seat is safer because the front door has more structure to it than the side panel in the rear. Really though a more modern car would be best if possible. I drove an E28 for a while and it was quite good for the kids. Fun car, too.

Matthew Cervi

'73 tii

Guest Anonymous

ever notice how small '02's are compared to everybody else? in 2004, newborns belong in a modern car with commensurate safety advantages. e28 is better, but ask me about practicality of either. been there, done that.

you make the call- suv prejudice or newborn safety.

robert

Guest Anonymous

Our little guy is two now and spent his first year riding around in the M2, facing rear - the only way to go up to 20 pounds.

Suggest you go shopping to a store to find a really compact seat - they'll let you take floor models out to the parking lot for fit. We had an Evenflo that wasn't very attractive, but compact and safe, and it's back rode up over the top of the stock '02 seats. Great view from up there, since the rear seat cushion is so high. Don't spend a lotta money on the first seat, as yer little one will outgrow it in a year.

Nailing down the seat is vigorous exercize, but works. As Matthew says, the female buckle end is way above the seat. The key is to get that buckle end up OVER the plastic lip where it crosses through the seat. To do so, I had to physically get in the infant seat and use my weight to get leverage. A towel slid in over the belts, under the seat pad smooths out the buckle lumps beneath yer' infant's fat butt. Use both belts, criss-crossed through the seat.

By the way, I found that the little guy in the '02 was a total chick magnet. Women of all ages smile and wave - but not at you :(

Guest Anonymous

I'd like to think I could maintain my disdain for

SUV's and still choose child safety. :-)

I know this is debatable but I'm a firm believer in

the "active" safety school of thought. I do think 02's

are safe because of the incredible surround vision

it provides and the responsive handling - leading

hopefully to a far greater ability to avoid accidents.

Of course, it's less safe for some other reasons ie.

size, crumple technology, abs, bags etc... I feel it's

somewhat of a toss up. What sucks for the '02 is

actual placement of child seats.

I do appreciate you sharing your point of view - just

throwing that out there.

Guest Anonymous

just trying to share my experiences to help out. as i say to my evangelical friends, we can agree to disagree, regarding to suv issue. we sold the 'burb, not as practical as they seem. the best is a full size van.

more important is this message- it is the other idiot you need to worry about. you have my full confidence as a driver, but the clown who runs a red light and t-bones you is impossible to predict. in my experience, the worst accidents are caused by someone else.

my children are the best thing i've ever done, and i would take a bullet for any one of the three. that's where i'm at.

regards,

robert