• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SCHNITZER BMW 2002 (fender update)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

52219447.jpg

Happy to say that the fenders were successfully shipped (Fedex Ground for like $66-awesome). One side has been fit-up. The nose, fenders and hood all have to be fit in unison, had to bit the bullet and buy a new hood so this has held up final (final fitment) unitl the hood arrives (today or tomorrow).

Guest Anonymous

52219533.jpg

This car is going to look awesome from the front (actually make that all sides). Frontal view with one fender on.

Guest Anonymous

52219519.jpg

You can't help notice its room mate, the Tiaga Alpina A4s, this car has just completed a full restoration, and is a "real deal" Alpina A4s (I have seen the build sheet from Alpina), the only thing different on the car now is 15" wheels (in lieu of 5.5x13 Alpina Alloys and of course the custom steel Alpina flares blended into the body work-beautiful car.

Guest Anonymous

52219443.jpg

In the bottome of the pic you will see the fabricated spoiler, will complete the package with the fenders, hood etc.,

Guest Anonymous

52219431.jpg

If you look closeley at some of the pics you will see a piece of sheet metal that is "pop-riveted" the the front of the nose and wraps around underneath. This is part of the radiator support and was a real bear to get off the old nose with out damaging and then to re-attach. This nose came off a 74 02 and will eventually have the big bumper holes filled in (once everythin is set in place).

Guest Anonymous

52219437.jpg

A look at the fender (looking in the cockpit). The car is off to the fabricator later this week to fix the cage. If you look closely you can see where some "foo" cut the bottom of the cage about 8" up from the floor and welded a plate to the floor. Properly done (as it was originally done) the cage would tie into the frame rails). This is how it will be done now. This was the only real butchery on the car and is going to cost me some dough to fix, will not pass tech as it is now AND I wouldn't want to lose my life god forbid in an accident. I' like to thank whomever did this modification for me (NOT).

Guest Anonymous

uses a very low profile magnesium oil pan for the dry sump system. As a side note, I am being careful to try and restore the car as much "in-the-day" as possible / reasonable (ie., rivets etc.,) unlike the cars of today, these cars in some ways were pretty rough with riveting, welding etc., The stuff that looks bad has been fixed, quite a bit has been left alone (hammered out areas are not being filled with bondo to make them look perfect).

Guest Anonymous

49808332.jpg

This is a rear in 13 x 15" with Avon race rubber. Fronts not currently assembled. Centers are Alpina magnesium.

Guest Anonymous

It appears that the fender sticks out way past where an original door would mate up. Is this true????

If so, how do you expect to blend the two together....

Thanks,

Bob