• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What causes rust here? Is it water through the trunk? Or doe

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

IMG_2298.jpg

start under the lip of the fender?

I have a parts car and I thought I would take a grinder and remove this

section of sheet metal to use on the blue car, but I don't know how far

away from the rust area I should take. Any body guys know? How do I

go about this?

Guest Anonymous

All "rusted" 02 got rust there...i think the moist is traped in between the inner panel that is glued to the outer one, as a sound deadening material or so, mine were rusted as hell at this spot, i have removed those glued panels (from inside of the car/trunk)...

Pat Allen

Guest Anonymous

On a sunroof car, there is an oval plug in place where the non-suroof cars would have the vent tubes exit (just outboard of the trunk hinge area on either side, IIRC).

If you are missing these plugs, it presents a path for water intrusion that can drip onto the inside of the rear quarter panel. If the 74 has any separation of the bonded dual sheet metal there, water can get in. Also, water coming in thru plug hole can drop into the lip hem area without getting between the double wall.

I've seen cars that had one side missing the plug, and that was the side with rust around the wheel opening.

Check the plugs !

Guest Anonymous

gathering_06_022804.jpg

URL: http://www.2002tii-restoration.org/

Most of the time, the rust you can see is just the tip of iceberg. On your car, if the rust is only limited to this area you could attempt a repair with donor material. If you're doing the work yourself you've got nothing to lose but time.

It might be worth replacing the entire qtr panel. I would be surprised if there isn't a lot more rust that you don't know about yet. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.

On my car I have less wheel arch less rust than you do. Initially I thought I could use a just wheel arch patch, but I realized that replacing the entire qtr is not really that much more work (since I was doing the rocker anyway). I will be replacing both qtr panels with used ones from 2002AD.

Feel free to e-mail me.

HTH,

Martin

'73tii de-rustification project

Guest Anonymous

...that I had brazed and filled during restoration. It held for ten years or so, but it's always going to come back if you don't replace the quarter. Use body sealer between the inner fender and the exterior wheel arch quarter panel sheet metal.

One of the causes of rust from the inside-out is the clam-shell trunk lid that doesn't vent vertically to allow the trunk to dry quickly. I have seen condensation build up inside the trunk making it cold and moist for extended periods of time - a perfect breeding ground for rust. The moisture collects in the seam, rusts, and works its way out to the surface.

I removed the trunk seal on my '73 before I stored it this past winter, BTW. You can also leave it slightly ajar.

Delia

'73tii

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

Guest Anonymous

72 the vent ducts leak on either side allowing water to drip down between the quarterpanel and the outer wheel well. Fixed the leak but haven't fixed the rust yet. Leaky quarter windows and trunk seal probably also contribute. Definitely an area you would want to spray cavity wax after you've repaired the damage. -J

02s tend to rust from the inside out unless salt has entered the equation (if it has then they rust everywhere).