• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Stub Axle Failure

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Question for all those racing 2002s. What is everyone doing

for the rear stub axles. The reason why i am asking is that a

had a set of billet ones made and had a failure this weekend

at Summit Point. The axle sheared with castelated nut still

attached right where the splined section tapers to the

threaded porting for the above mention nut. I have heard of

the axles breaking at the flange side but never here,

especially a billet one. Now I am running the cantilevered

tires but the car only has about 10 hours on it. Anyway fixed

it by running a spare stock one I had but was curious to see

what everyone else is running.

Guest Anonymous

Hi there...I put together a group buy several months back for 4030 Aircraft Billet Steel stub axles with a very reputable company in Southern California. I pursued this project after Jeff Ireland told me I was driving a "ticking time bomb" of a 2002 with a stroked M3 motor and stock stubs. Jeff had the billet units machined a decade earlier by the same company that I used and has 10 racing seasons on them without any problems.

I have received emails over the past few months from 4 or 5 people who missed this group buy and who were wondering if I would be putting another one together. If I can get a total of 20 orders, than I can get the same price as last time and would be willing to organize the project. Normal price is $750 plus tax and shipping. I negotiated a group rate of $475 with tax and US shipping included. Feel free to contact me off-board if you like.

Best,

Coop

Guest Anonymous

I bought one of the billet stub axles from Coop's buy, and they are

works of art! This might be just the ticket...

Ian

'76 M2002

Guest Anonymous

lee_undercar.jpg

URL: http://www.g93.net/track/tremblant71203/

Check the pictures and you will see were exactly it broke. I think it is absolutely important that the castelated nut be torqued at 250lbs. Any loose will drum and will stress the axle stub. I have tried to install 320 stubs with the finer splines. I could not make it work, unless I transfer the 320 trailing arms too. I think that at first sign og metal fatigu, those stubs should be changed. Which is why I started to recuperate any stub axle I could find, for future use.

It is not fun loosing a rear wheel on a high G corner. Don't ask how I know...

Guest Anonymous

How hard is it to remove the stub axle?

Castlenut, four bolts that hold the drum on, ???

I've not had one apart; what about wheelbearings?

Iain

Guest Anonymous

That looks very similar to where mine broke. The nut was

torqued to 250 and luckily I caught it before going out for

qualifying.

Guest Anonymous

Every two sessions, one more nutch, and again, and again. Until it snapped in the Caroussel at Tremblant. No harm, but a strange sensation.

Guest Anonymous

narly, as far as your position under the car and the car being on "grass". I am sure your car was very well supported and that you weren't in danger.

Guest Anonymous

I can't beleive it man... If you have to keep tightening something REPLACE IT. And all related components. This I have learned from Racing Karts, if you suspect it, replace it. It's your butt on the line, you're very lucky that you didn't seriously hurt yourself, or somebody else.

BTW "high G corner" ha ha, in a CAR, NOT! ;-) Shifters pull over 3G's!!!!

----------

BigDog

'76 2002 (still not track worthy)

'00 MBA 125cc Shifter

Guest Anonymous

Grass was flat. And the rear was on wood blocks. I never work under a car if it is not properly jacked and secured. But thanks for worrying.

Guest Anonymous

If so then (for the same material) the stock pieces are stronger than a billet piece. I think the issue with the stubs arises primarilly from the fact that most are 25 years old and then we hot rod the cars and start hammering out on the track. Now for a car with mclose to tripple (COOP?) the stock power one would want to upgrade the material spec itself which might outweigh the inherently weaker process of machining versus forging.

If the stock stubs are cast then all bets are off cause that would suck. Anyone know?

Just my 02 cents

Jonathan T.