• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

leaky single bbl solex common.......??

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello all!

Well, I've had this problem since I've owned the car four years now. Euro 1972 single bbl solex carb will sometimes run weird and die unless I choke it out all of the way, at which time it runs at high idle but will not die, however when I drive it I have to then push the choke back in. It makes for some adventurous driving! I know this is because air is getting in somewhere. Anyway I noticed a fuel leak also from the front of the car and finally found it. It drips about one drip every coupld of seconds from where the accelerator rod? goes into the (throttle plate??) and drips right onto the intake manifold. SOmetimes it even sizzles and steams. This looks very dangerous! However it looks like I may be able to replace that very bottom piece instead of getting a new carb. My question is: Is this most likely where my air is getting in when the car runs rough requiring choke, and how shall I go about fixing this(these) leak(s)? Should I upgrade carbs, if so, do I need a bigger intake manifold? Or shall I just fix my existing carb. I guess I'm looking at it like: WHats the best bang for the buck. Thank you in advance for any help in this area :)

Nathan

Guest Anonymous

I think it's called the enrichment valve and it points down off the bottom of the carb. Mine leaked too. I replaced washer and tightened it down real good and it stopped leaking. In fact, when I first got my car it was hand tight. That valve bolts into the bowl, so you've got fuel sitting on it. Not good if it falls off. It's kind of hard to get tight- requires a real wide blade screwdriver.

As for the drivability problems, when was the carb last rebuilt and all jets cleaned with carb cleaner? It might also be a worn throttle shaft.

Guest Anonymous

diaphragm, running down the connecting rod and dripping off the throttle spindle on the front (engine front) of the carb. Changing the pump diaphragm is a simple job...

Mike

Guest Anonymous

The leak is dripping right where the rod leading from the accelerator piece near the fire wall that is connected to the gas pedal and on a spring...the rod that runs from that and goes into the carb. On it is a spring too and an idle adjustment screw. I think it directly controlls the butterfly valve that opens deep down inside the carb below the choke butterfly valve..... does the make and sense?

Guest Anonymous

The single barrel solex 36-40PDSI is a very simple carb which needs minor maintenance. It is very simple to take out of the car and disarm it, clean it and assemble.