• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Intro

Roverguy

A fair number of us have urged Mike Self to fly out to California, buy a '76 2002, drive it back to Ohio, have some fun driving it for a while and then with some relatively easy cleaning and refurbishing, sell the 02 for a nice little profit. It would make for a good story, right? The 2002's in the Midwest offered for sale tend to have problematic rust/bodywork issues....

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Jim, that sounds like a challenge--but I admit it would be fun--and a heck of an adventure.

But I already have a brace of roundies--what would I do with a third 2002?

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

4 hours ago, mike said:

Jim, that sounds like a challenge--but I admit it would be fun--and a heck of an adventure.

mike

If I had the room- I would attempt something like this.  

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

13 hours ago, Conserv said:

For 1974, there was only one 2002 version for the United States. The VIN won’t reveal the delivering dealer, unless you have access to the super top secret BMW database that tracks the delivering dealer and interior color for BMW NA-imported cars. BMW Archives doesn’t even have access to this super top secret database. (But Bob Mueller probably does. ?You’d need an original window sticker or delivery documents to determine whether it was delivered to California. The seller claims to have a stack of receipts so perhaps he’s got something to back up that claim of a California pedigree.

Even in 1976, where there was a separate version for California, the VIN won’t tell you whether an ‘02 was a California or 49-state version. You’d need to examine the equipment and underhood stickers to determine if a ‘76 was a California or 49-state version.

I believe I’m reading a VIN of 4223642 on the Used Vehicle Buyer’s Guide in one of my photos. Per RealOEM, that would make it a March 1974 production car.

The guy who approached me was likely the father. He wasn’t overly slick, but was eager to discuss the car. Their shop/lot is just off Route 302, on River Road (probably 10-12 miles west of Portland, just as you are about to enter North Windham).

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve:

Any chance you could confirm that VIn?

I was thinking about running a Car Fax, even though we all know it's not a sure thing it does shed some history.

G. Hamilton

North of Boston

'74 02 - Former Cali car

Send any VINs to info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com

• Like 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Always run your own Carfaxes. Always. Do NOT depend upon copies sent to you. This advice from someone who received a doctored up Carfax. Even then, I take Carfax info with a grain of salt.

No offense, but, in general, many CA/FL/southwest car owners tend not to know what "real" rust is (I spent 50+ years in MA, NH and Vermont). My coupe came out of CA 20 years ago. Rust free it was advertised. It was not. My 02 came out of Ontario last year. Incredibly, it is mostly rust free. Don't be quick to write off cars just because of where they are from. Many of these 02s have been all over the place through multiple owners. That said, it only take a a winter or 2 in a salty climate for rust to get a hold of a rust free car and start its physical demise

If the pictures tell a good first story and you like red, the Maine car might be worth a look but get it up on a lift to determine what the rust extent is. I'd also get more info on the the mintgrun car in Vermont that Andrew mentioned. Could be a great drive home!

Reach out to Mario/VSR also. No doubt, he will know of some for sale and would be a good PPI resource for you if you need one.

Autowekes Maine in Freeport can also do a PPI. If the seller says no to that, walk away.

https://www.autowerkesmaine.com

• Like 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

3 hours ago, Roverguy said:

Hi Steve:

Any chance you could confirm that VIn?

I was thinking about running a Car Fax, even though we all know it's not a sure thing it does shed some history.

There’s no such thing as CarFax for 7-digit VIN’s. When these cars were new, there really weren’t computerized DMV records in the modern sense. Either you have physical records — e.g., receipts and statements — or you’ve got nada!

The BMW Archives info (Andrew provided the email address) is valuable because it confirms the sub-model (1600-2, 2002, tii, etc.), market (U.S. or Euro), manufacturing date, importer (generally Hoffman or BMW NA for U.S. market cars), and factory color. Nothing more!

Hey, this is how we bought used cars in the pre-historic era. ? And, back then, you assumed that those 5-digit odometers were useless telltales of actual mileage: besides rolling over at 99,999 miles, they were easily rolled back, or forward! ?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I agree, this is not a historically significant Alfa or Ferrarri.

You are right; mileage is insignificant, unless someone is purporting 20,000.

The car should present itself.

Sounds like they have a ton of records, and my thought is are a good visual on the lift and road test will pass the "sniff test".

This isn't the first vintage car I've bought, armed with some specifics from the group I should be able to make a sound judgement.

G. Hamilton

North of Boston

'74 02 - Former Cali car

I absolutely love red 2002's! I lose my mind when I see one. Def' in my top 3 colors.

Red is fairly rare and I think it fits the body shape pretty good.

Car Fax lol...

I saw this car while shopping for my latest 02. Looked  pretty good to me but I  was looking for a roundie.

That's a nice car if it's dry.

ps have you looked on the website> Make and Model Search for an 02?

imageproxy (4).jpg

Edited by iinca

10 hours ago, mike said:

mike

It would be a quick flip, Mike.

• Like 1

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

7 hours ago, jgerock said:

If I had the room- I would attempt something like this.  

Someone near you must have room.

And more time now.

:D

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.