• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Intro

Roverguy

Hi gang:

New to the world of BMW; well as soon as I find one!

Anyway, a bit about me.

Been into cars for about 40 years, started out in foreign auto parts in NY in HS and through college where I got the bug.

Have owned a bunch of Euro cars, a number of Triumphs (TR250s) and a 70 TR6 I am currently restoring. Had an 88 Alfa Spider for a while.

Had a number of SAABS and on our 7th or 8th Volvo wagon.  Wife currently drives a 11 T6 Cross Country.

Just sold my fantastic 82 911SC after 6 years of ownership.  With the strong market ($) I couldn't pass on the price I got.

So; now I'm looking for a nice driver 2002 that I can add my personality to.  Not planning anything outrageous, just a nice car for the twisties I can take anytime I want. Maybe suspension upgrade, wheels/tires and exhaust.

I do 90% of all my own work and they look pretty straight forward, so no worries there.

So; here are my few newbie questions.  I have a budget of $15-$20,  Do not want to have to do paint or any significant body work.  I can deal with the mechanicals, but rust/paint is a deal breaker.

I live North of Boston, so am keenly aware of the tin worm.

There is a 76 Cali car listed; but my understanding is they were choked with thermal reactors and smaller valve head and lower CR.  Should I steer away from the 75-76s? It appears to be really clean and in my budget. Motor was supposedly redone, thinking maybe they removed the smog stuff.  It is located in Maine right now.

I's prefer a roundie, but I know there is a premium on $ for them. 

Looking forward to the journey, appreciate any advice you may have.

Pic of my recently departed 911

Cheers

911 Marsh.jpg

• Like 1

G. Hamilton

North of Boston

'74 02 - Former Cali car

I know of a 1976 Mintgrun 2002 in VT that has been well cared for since new, never driven in salt or snow as I have been told.

I'm located in Brunswick, Maine. Second Mario & Chris at VSR1.com as people and a shop to become familiar with. 

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Thanks men.

Andrew:

Did you see the 76 in Sebago on CL? Not crazy about red..

https://maine.craigslist.org/cto/d/1974-bmw-2002-cream-puff-from/6632358202.html

How far is that from you?

Talked to the guys, father and son used car dealership.

Usually stay away from those kind of shops.

G. Hamilton

North of Boston

'74 02 - Former Cali car

I have not seen the Sebago car in person. I know it has been for sale for some time. The town of Sebago is 1:20 from me.  

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

The one in Seabago has been for sale (same price) for over a year. You should be able to get him down on price, as that's probably why it hasn't sold (assuming what he says about the car is true).

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

1 minute ago, Roverguy said:

What's the consensus on a '76 Cali Car as far as the emissions stuff and engine?

1976 2002s have to pass the CA smog test so they are not sought after there. On the East Coast '76 cars are just another square light 2002. I know of a few very fast '76s in MA & NH.

Andrew Wilson

3 hours ago, Roverguy said:

Thanks men.

Andrew:

Did you see the 76 in Sebago on CL? Not crazy about red..

https://maine.craigslist.org/cto/d/1974-bmw-2002-cream-puff-from/6632358202.html

How far is that from you?

Talked to the guys, father and son used car dealership.

Usually stay away from those kind of shops.

I was passing by and stopped and gave the Verona ‘74 a quick look last September. I probably first saw it at that used car dealership in May or June ‘74. I was in a hurry when I stopped in September, and it looked pretty good: newer paint may look good, but it also conceals much. I didn’t look carefully, or bother to even open the hood, because $17,500 for a ‘74 in Maine struck me, at least at the time, as a ridiculous price. The seller offered that he was firm at the $17,500 price — I never even asked him about price — as he had just lowered the price from $19,000. I considered posting the attached photos here but somehow that seemed like my endorsement of a $17,500 ‘74. I assumed — rightly or wrongly — that only a complete fool would pay that price for a ‘74 in Maine. As the market for ‘02’s increases, however, it starts looking a bit less ridiculous.

I’ll be in Maine this weekend and a few times in August, but it’s doubtful I’ll get another opportunity to look at it.

Let’s just say, it doesn’t appear to be a turd! It’s complete, it’s a good color, Verona, and it’s a sunroof car.

Regards,

Steve

F583DE48-9E44-4250-8CAD-C009940D603B.jpeg

AFC58BB5-903B-435B-9006-87A0ADFC9A49.jpeg

2B40C0F5-1553-438E-971E-DAC6E1D351AD.jpeg

298EA94D-6339-4BF3-9670-40DB63E6A3D0.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

59 minutes ago, Roverguy said:

What's the consensus on a '76 Cali Car as far as the emissions stuff and engine?

Outside of California, a California ‘76 is great! Assuming the ‘76 from California is, indeed, a California version, and not a 49-state version brought into California later, you would simply replace the thermal reactor exhaust manifold with non-thermal reactor or tii manifold. All the square taillight cars (except for the tii) had low compression ratios: 8.0 to 8.3, so the California version ‘76 is simply more of the same.

In general, the general low rust nature of many California-raised cars more than makes up for the thermal reactor found on ‘75 and ‘76 versions.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

If I get the VIN can someone run it and see if it's actually a Cali car?

Oh, my bad it's a '74.

Maybe I'll go see it this weekend.  Hoping they'll do a compression test while I'm there.

What's the place look like?

G. Hamilton

North of Boston

'74 02 - Former Cali car

Just talked to one of the owners, told me he had it about a year, so that story holds true.

He says he has a folder 2" thick of work that has been done to the car.

Asked him if he was somewhat flexible on price.

He said "Oh yea; we can go up from there!"  Typical Maine sarcasm.. Ha!

Other than my normal used car knowledge; other than rust anything specific I can check?

He'll put it on the lift for me.

G. Hamilton

North of Boston

'74 02 - Former Cali car

If I didn't live in California, I would be looking for a nice, dry 1976 model from California.  The smog issue makes them less desirable and keeps the price under market.  For example, this car in San Diego, priced well below market for its condition, but missing smog components and will never pass smog in California unless the owner spends $$$ to have it all replaced and working.  Buy it cheap, ship it to the east coast or drive it there, strip out all the smog components, add shorty header, 123 Ignition distributor, IE 292 Cam and Weber 38/38 and drive it with a big smile on your face, all for less than the bottom of your $15K budget.

Mark92131

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/d/1976-bmw-2002/6635278546.html

01313_YFEveDeKuV_600x450.jpg

• Like 3

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

1 hour ago, Roverguy said:

If I get the VIN can someone run it and see if it's actually a Cali car?

Oh, my bad it's a '74.

Maybe I'll go see it this weekend.  Hoping they'll do a compression test while I'm there.

What's the place look like?

For 1974, there was only one 2002 version for the United States. The VIN won’t reveal the delivering dealer, unless you have access to the super top secret BMW database that tracks the delivering dealer and interior color for BMW NA-imported cars. BMW Archives doesn’t even have access to this super top secret database. (But Bob Mueller probably does. ?You’d need an original window sticker or delivery documents to determine whether it was delivered to California. The seller claims to have a stack of receipts so perhaps he’s got something to back up that claim of a California pedigree.

Even in 1976, where there was a separate version for California, the VIN won’t tell you whether an ‘02 was a California or 49-state version. You’d need to examine the equipment and underhood stickers to determine if a ‘76 was a California or 49-state version.

I believe I’m reading a VIN of 4223642 on the Used Vehicle Buyer’s Guide in one of my photos. Per RealOEM, that would make it a March 1974 production car.

The guy who approached me was likely the father. He wasn’t overly slick, but was eager to discuss the car. Their shop/lot is just off Route 302, on River Road (probably 10-12 miles west of Portland, just as you are about to enter North Windham).

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

15 minutes ago, Mark92131 said:

If I didn't live in California, I would be looking for a nice, dry 1976 model from California.  The smog issue makes them less desirable and keeps the price under market.  For example, this car in San Diego, priced well below market for its condition, but missing smog components and will never pass smog in California unless the owner spends $$$ to have it all replaced and working.  Buy it cheap, ship it to the east coast or drive it there, strip out all the smog components, add shorty header, 123 Ignition distributor, IE 292 Cam and Weber 38/38 and drive it with a big smile on your face, all for less than the bottom of your $15K budget.

Mark92131

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/d/1976-bmw-2002/6635278546.html

01313_YFEveDeKuV_600x450.jpg

+1

Look at the Maine car.  If you really like it, and can’t find rust anywhere — either because it has none (rare!!!) or because it’s been covered up (common) — there is a single 10mm bolt that holds the back seat bottom in place (it’s in the carpeting just right of center at the bottom leading edge of the seat bottom). Pull out the seat bottom and see if you can find any floor rust, or rear subframe mount rust in the freshly-exposed area.

But...Mark is right! California cars rule, and ‘76’s are pariahs there!

Let us know how else we can help.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv