• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

motor probs. any guesses?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Just limped back from a spirited drive in the country. Scenario: 1/2 hour of Tii fun on back roads-everything normal-good power, big grin, life is good. On ramp to the freeway home, ran through the gears(5) full throttle up to 5500k-backed off to legal. Everything seemed fine until I noticed tell-tale black smoke. Not pouring out, but noticeable. Exited the highway-car dies at stop. Does restart but stutters badly and has low power. Black smoke continues. I pulled over and checked the distributor-points fine and adjusted. Dist. tight. Car will not idle, but will run with throttle applied. Limped home-there she sits. Any guesses? My next thought was to check the plugs. The wires are less than a year old from Max. Plugs too, but who knows. Any other suggestions? TIA.

Guest Anonymous

My '72 tii did this same thing. Turned out to be the linkage between the injection pump and vertical link popped off when I gave it full throttle. New linkage piece and all is well.

Mike