• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Single weber side draft conversion

doza59

The problem with using the Jenvey DCOE throttle body is that you would need to arrange each injector to fire twice for two different cylinders. Probably not insurmountable but something else to consider. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

25 minutes ago, Simeon said:

The problem with using the Jenvey DCOE throttle body is that you would need to arrange each injector to fire twice for two different cylinders. Probably not insurmountable but something else to consider. 

I would love to try two of those Jenvey sidedrafts on my 69. The Solex 40phh carbs currently run well, but one always strives for better performance.

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I have been to the Mid America Fest twice and the Vintage once and have never actually seen  a Lynx Manifold installed.

I have a Metric Mechanic 2.3L Rally engine and am considering the Lynx.

Has anyone else done this with the 2.3 engine and gotten it running right?

if so, what is your jetting?

Thanks in Advance.

Frank,  SaharaX2
'75 2002 Sahara (Janice)
'74 2002 Sahara (Camilla) dearly departed
'76 2002 Anthrazit (Gonzo) now daughters car

1 hour ago, SaharaX2 said:

I have been to the Mid America Fest twice and the Vintage once and have never actually seen  a Lynx Manifold installed.

I have a Metric Mechanic 2.3L Rally engine and am considering the Lynx.

Has anyone else done this with the 2.3 engine and gotten it running right?

if so, what is your jetting?

Thanks in Advance.

What intake setup does your car currently have? Maybe it just needs tuning.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

For a stock cam you should stick with a 40 DCOE, 45 is only needed for a 292 or more aggressive cam.  284 could probably go either way.  If you go to big you'll have poor throttle resolution and tuning difficulty down low as there won't be much vacuum signal.  I know because I bought a lynx a long time ago that came with a 45 and I had those headaches until I switched to a 40, which really improved everything (for my stock motor).

Nowadays you can avoid the tii booster conundrum by getting these curved velocity stacks from Ireland Engineering!

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/item/DCOEvelstk40.html

After running the Lynx for a few years I switched to Megasquirt with the 318i manifold, but I've LONG thought about going back to the Lynx with a singe sidedraft TB.  @Simeon is absolutely correct that injection staging and timing is the tricky part, but I have decided that it WILL work but one needs to size the injectors very, very precisely so that you can run 2 squirts/cycle and not let the pulse width get too low at idle, and still have the injectors big enough to flow for full power.  In case anyone wants to try it before I get around to the experiment, I determined that you'd probably start with the Bosch dark blue top 36lb/hr injectors and then log the duty cycle for awhile and then move up to the lime green top 42 lb/hr injectors if needed.  Also to note, I think 150 HP is about the max output this type of setup could handle.  Any more and two injectors just won't cut it!

DSCF1826.thumb.JPG.9877cd1859ba9c795d1c3b38bac8f598.JPG

I am running a 2233cc displacement, MM 290 cam, ported intake 345 gram pistons, 10.0:1 compression. 

Intake is a Weber 38/38DGAS CARBon a stock manifold.

the current setup works well with no complaints.

for experimenting would the  Lynx with a 45 DCOE help or hurt?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by SaharaX2
Added info

Frank,  SaharaX2
'75 2002 Sahara (Janice)

@SaharaX2 It's not quite that cut and dry, but I *think* that a single sidedraft 45 would probably give you a bit better top end though would also give up a little in the low/mid-range to the stock manifold.  But frankly in terms of overall power and torque, I don't think it would be that different.  What it WOULD certainly do though, is give you a bit better throttle response and it was also sound better (more intake note)! Hope that helps!

Sahara stole my question. Just wondering if it would just be easier to install a 38/38 downdraft, avoid the plumbing issues and get similar performance to a 40 side draft. 

Is there some advantage to a single side draft over a 38/38 downdraft?

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me. 

Thanks.
Gotta love that Weber noise!

I hear a lot about the 152g with 4 progression holes although Top end Performance, not Pierce has it for sale.

It is probably cheaper to get it as a kit anyway.

Thoughts

Frank,  SaharaX2
'75 2002 Sahara (Janice)

5 hours ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

Sahara stole my question. Just wondering if it would just be easier to install a 38/38 downdraft, avoid the plumbing issues and get similar performance to a 40 side draft. 

Is there some advantage to a single side draft over a 38/38 downdraft?

Given that the 38/38 is flowing both barrels through a single plenum to all cylinders and the lynx has 1 x 40mm (or 45mm) choked down through a plenum to two cylinders. There is some advantage in overall flow for the 38/38 but the DCOE is likely to be more tuneable and potentially a better match than the 38/38 but whether this translates to anything detectable by the butt dyno in normal driving, I am not convinced. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

For Simeon,
To install the 38/38 you have to remove the original manifold to “hog it out” so the butterfly will open and the orifices match.
Jim at Metric Mechanic machined my manifold and modified my 38/38 prior to install.

Some folks have a dead spot with the 38. I don’t.
The amount of labor is similar. You just need re-route the water return line and install a 318i water manifold. Linkage set up is interesting on both applications.

I find the Lynx manifold interesting because there are not that many are out there.
You cannot beat a howling DCOE.

I drove my beloved departed “Camilla” with a 304 cam and twin Weber’s at 7K rpm the day before I removed the engine for excessive blow by. The engine still had strong acceleration and made wonderful noises.

Frank,  SaharaX2
'75 2002 Sahara (Janice)

I shouldn't be commenting because I don't know the specifics of the 45DCOE internals on my car. But it runs great! Purchased Lynx and 45 DCOE second hand but apparently unused. It probably originally came from Topend with their prescription of internals. My car came to me with the progressive Weber. Bolted the Lynx up, fabbed linkage using rod purchased here and other non cable bits. 45 degree horns from IE and paper filter. Vacuum takeoff with pulse regulator to distributor. Looks messy but now I know it works will clean it up. Runs slightly rich in certain conditions according to AF gauge but no stumbling or hesitation. Sounds good, accelerates good, decent gas mileage. First trip was to Ofest Pittsburgh and back from Ct and no issues except leakage from loosened mechanical fuel pump nuts down in Pitt. I love it. Oh, the car is an automatic. For the moment. Might just keep it that way. I say try the set up. Works for me.

IMG_3110.jpg

Here is where it's probably worth mentioning that the beauty of the Lynx manifold is the crossover design so that two adjoined cylinders are not competing with each other very much for a given intake charge, so while not quite as good as a fully independent runner setup (dual sidedrafts), it's much closer to that than the 38/38 plenum setup, with the big difference being throttle response and probably a small advantage in top end breathing. A key point though is it's not *just* a manifold made to slap a dcoe on there; it's well designed to make a single dcoe function more like dual dcoes.

Edited by AustrianVespaGuy
  • Like 2

Doza59,
Did you get your Lynx Manifold and DCOE installed?
How is it working for you?
First impressions?
Frank

Frank,  SaharaX2
'75 2002 Sahara (Janice)