• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Learn something every day

worzella

On 7/14/2018 at 3:01 PM, Conserv said:

Hmm...

I’ll admit, Hen, that I have never run out of gas in an ‘02.

Erm... I have. I remember that certain situation at the gas station when the engine stopped about five meters before the gas dispenser. Somehow I managed to lean strongly against the top of the A-pillar while getting out of the car and pushed it just as far as needed. So nobody noticed the real issue.

In an Euro wiring diagram is shown that the Sweden versions use the oil pressure control for the brake fluid switch, not the center control.

By the way, Steve: no gas reserve, no handbrake control...  The red control in your 76 is some underworked it seems?

hen

11 hours ago, Henning said:

Erm... I have. I remember that certain situation at the gas station when the engine stopped about five meters before the gas dispenser. Somehow I managed to lean strongly against the top of the A-pillar while getting out of the car and pushed it just as far as needed. So nobody noticed the real issue.

In an Euro wiring diagram is shown that the Sweden versions use the oil pressure control for the brake fluid switch, not the center control.

By the way, Steve: no gas reserve, no handbrake control...  The red control in your 76 is some underworked it seems?

hen

Underworked like I, Hen! ?

Actually, the red warning light works for:

1. Low brake fluid,

2. Handbrake applied, and

3. Unauthorized installation of aftermarket equipment!  ?

OK, OK, the last item is a big ol’ lie, but U.S. square taillights, at minimum, use the warning light for the handbrake.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I have indeed ran out of gas in my US spec '74.  No lights, but yeah only 2 sender wires.  I had only a bit of time left in a session at Mid-Ohio, knew it was low, but wasn't about to give up my time to come in and find gas trackside.  I was pushing it hard past the redline in 4th gear on the back straight, and it takes a looot of fuel to overcome aerodynamics at an 02's top speed.  Stumbled and stumbled, and then coasted just barely all the way to the trackside pump.  Next to a pristine Ford GT owner who complimented me on my ugly '02, and strangely did not notice my '02 was rolling in silent mode.

• Like 1

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Hola -

I have a euro tii - a late '72.  It has the low fuel light.  The sender has three wires (it looks the same as the touring pics in this thread).  I can't vouch for when it lights up; that is, how much warning it gives you.  

In the US cars, there is the red instrument cluster telltale that says "brake" or "brake failure".  In my car, the red telltale doesn't have a word on it - it is just a mesh pattern.   I think the other euro tii at PVGP was the same.

The red telltale also goes on when I pull up the handbrake.  

Pic of the top of the sender.

Scott

IMG_3107.JPG

• Like 1

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

• No US cars came with the low fuel warning light setup; the Germans thought it would confuse American drivers to use the same warning light for low brake fluid and low fuel.  
  • All US spec cars from '68 on had the low brake fluid warning light.
  • Only US squarelights came with the e-brake warning light switch; roundies don't have 'em.
  • US 76 cars have an additional function on the brake warning light--a pressure differential warning--if one of the two brake systems registers lower pressure than the other (indicating a leak) the light comes on.  US '76 models only.
  • I have a choke cable scrounged from a Euro 2002 many years ago that has a built-in switch to warn of the manual choke left on.  Never saw one on a US-destined car, even the early 1600s that were built before US-specific VIN runs.  An old CCA tech tip suggests using a similar cable from an old manual choke Civic if you want this feature. 

mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2018 at 2:37 PM, Conserv said:

Unauthorized aftermarket equipment.

Soo...

Who may be the one to tell us what is authorized to do to our cars and what is not? I didn't know that there is some big brother around for this...

hen

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Henning said:

Soo...

Who may be the one to tell us what is authorized to do to our cars and what is not? I didn't know that there is some big brother around for this...

I will take on this job if nobody else volunteers!  As the gate keeper, first thing to go are giant rear spoilers and stereo speakers mounted in the doors. ! I will also allow/approve this "low gas" indicator light. Vote for Jbaumshelter!

• Haha 1

I will take on this job if nobody else volunteers!  As the gate keeper, first thing to go are giant rear spoilers and stereo speakers mounted in the doors. ! I will also allow/approve this "low gas" indicator light. Vote for Jbaumshelter!

Do I get a buy if the PO put in the speakers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Just now, Dudeland said:

Do I get a buy if the PO put in the speakers?

Absolutely not, It won't be tolerated. You are welcome to purchase the car as long as you can produce a work order from Aardvark Racing or other reputable shop for NEW DOOR CARDS. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Jbaumshelter said:

What's your... stance on detrimming?

?

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

My 69 has the handbrake mount transplanted from a 74.  It now has the notch for routing the wiring for a possible hand brake switch.

Old original 69 hand brake mount (note the frame DOES have a notch but not in the same place).

IMG_7307.jpg

IMG_1982_zps4c6d375e.jpg

Switch in a 74

IMG_5121.jpg

IMG_5122.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

2 hours ago, ray_ said:

What's your... stance on detrimming?

Knee trim should have been removed at the same time as your 8 track or cassette player. Belt trim is iconic BMW 2002 and should only be removed if you are doing a really awesome resto/mod. 

On second thought, I don't want this job anymore. I'll piss people off faster than Donald Trump at a Cinco De Mayo party. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2