• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E 30 bottlecap painting update/ impressions:

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Spent all afternoon and early evening prepping and painting my used wheels. A friend sandblasted them earlier this week so I spent close to an hour with tack cloths removing any residual sand to insure good paint adhesion. Next I placed the wheels on cardboard facing down, masked the hub area, and put three (3) coats of Krylon dull aluminum on the back side of each. I then placed each wheel facing up (resting on paint cans placed in the middle/hub area so as not to interfere with any of the fresh paint) and applied five (5) coats of the Krylon dull aluminum. I waited an hour then put four (4) coats of Krylon clear on the wheels still facing up (i.e., the 5 coats of paint and 4 clear went on the part you'll see, not the back). Tomorrow I may put a couple of coats of clear on the back of each but I haven't decided whether that's necessary or not. Impressions: (1) I had very little problem with drips or excess paint which I credit to applying very light coats. IMO it is better to apply multiple light coats rather than a few heavy ones. (2) Like most anything we do with our '02s the process took much longer than I thought, but (2) I am amazed at how great the results are. These wheels now look brand new and the color appears to be a match for the original color. Next will be to put new roundels on the hubs and install Yokohama AVS ES100s! Overall, I would recommend this process to anyone willing to put in some time--well worth it IMHO.

Guest Anonymous

degrees apart to insure good coverage. How did you do it? Also, how many cans per wheel of the dull-alum and clear did it take? I think you said you only got four dulls and two clears, so did you use them all up? I'm trying to get an idea of what a can will cover for the dull and the clear.

Guest Anonymous

the wheels appeared to be a primer-type color (so I would say primer wouldn't hurt but is probably overkill). As for painting technique, I lined up all four wheels facing down on cardboard (instead of, for example, placing them on their side as if mounted on the car) then sprayed from the side bending down as I walked around the wheel to first cover the lip/very top side (because when spraying straight down it is easy not to cover this small area). By the way, I painted each wheel's backside completely before moving on to the next one. Next I bent down low again and again walked around the wheel spraying the sides of the rim itself then finished by standing directly over the wheel and spraying in a circular motion to cover the "face". I used this technique for both the back and front sides but finished the backs completely (with the exception of the clear) before grasping each wheel by the rim where the tire goes, flipping each and setting them down on the hub (which I masked on the backside only--the 5" or so diameter center where the holes are and which will contact the hub of the car so figured no paint would be better AND it allows you to flip the wheel and set it down without worry of wet paint contacting anything). When flipping the wheels to do the front side (the part you see when mounted on the car) I set each wheel down on their respective hub on top of a standard size paint can. This gets the wheel up in the air just slightly and keeps the freshly painted backside from touching the cardboard. Same technique as described above for front side painting. As for quantity of dull aluminum and clear, one can was easily enough to do three light coats on each backside of the wheels (so, 12 light coats total from one can). I used approx. 2 1/2 cans of dull aluminum to do five light coats on each wheel's front side. I had a problem when a can would begin to get about 1/4 full with some "spitting" so I never actually finished a can completely. As for quantity of clear, two cans allowed four coats for each front side of the four wheels (so, 16 light coats) AND the second can isn't finished at all and I've decided today to flip the wheels and put a couple of coats of clear on the backside of each wheel. So, overall assuming LIGHT coats I think four cans of dull aluminum and two clear are more than enough. Also, I noticed on each can that Krylon is part of Sherwin Williams so you can probably save some leg work in locating the paint by simply calling S.W.. I cannot say enough about the results--excellent (and, I had to sand one of the wheels in spots where the can "spit" after I already had three coats on. Instead of stripping the wheel and starting over, however, I just sanded it, used the tack rag to remove the sanded paint, and put on a few more coats). Good luck and keep us posted on your results!