• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions regarding replacement of upper radiator hose

doog

When I returned home yesterday from a drive, I noticed a pool of coolant under my '02. Luckily, I hadn't lost very much coolant.  I determined today that the upper radiator hose from the block to the top of the radiator had a small crack in it.  My questions are:

1. when I replace the hose, assuming the engine is cold, would I have to drain the radiator first, or would that be unnecessary, if only a relatively small amount of coolant spill out

2. are there non-BMW labelled, preformed hoses, such as the Gates 21025 work sufficiently well?

Thanks!

You are not going to lose much radiator coolant removing that hose.  You might need to replace all the coolant anyway depending on how long it has been in the car.

I'd contact Blunt to get the correct hose.

• Like 1

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

If one hose is cracked and leaking there are bound to be others. I just replaced all of mine with Ireland Engineering silicone. The hoses and clamps are all top quality and I've had no issues with them for the last 6 months since installation. I believe I purchased the whole set for under $100.

Do you know when the last time you changed your coolant was? If you decide to just replace the one damaged hose it's pretty straight forward draining the radiator and block and adding fresh.

good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Series 1, 1969 2002

Instagram: joseiden_bmwerke

12 minutes ago, doog said:

The coolant was changed about 12k miles ago.  Generally, the coolant looks fine, though I'm sure there's junk that could be flushed.

Last time i drained the coolant i did both the radiator and block. I had no idea when the PO last changed it. I had so much crud build up at the bottom of the block i had to scratch sediment away after removing the drain plug to allow the coolant to flow out. flushed out with a garden hose and seem to knock a lot of it loose and out.

Series 1, 1969 2002

• 1 month later...
On 7/11/2018 at 1:19 PM, Joesprocket said:

If one hose is cracked and leaking there are bound to be others. I just replaced all of mine with Ireland Engineering silicone. The hoses and clamps are all top quality and I've had no issues with them for the last 6 months since installation. I believe I purchased the whole set for under $100.

Do you know when the last time you changed your coolant was? If you decide to just replace the one damaged hose it's pretty straight forward draining the radiator and block and adding fresh.

good luck!

Did you have to do any modifications/chopping to the IE silicone upper radiator hose to make it fit right? The one I received looks to be the right shape...however it seems to be an inch too long on one side and I’m thinking it will still be scrunched up even if I chop it down. All the other hoses fit like a charm.

9A82E39C-03BA-41B7-BB61-C1D07956B646.jpeg

175940C9-0FCD-4869-A906-3570DA6F0456.jpeg

The upper tank on your non-original radiator is wider than stock, effectively placing the upper hose connection closer to the cylinder head. No way Ireland would have been able to account for that. Custom is custom, it's up to the customizer to make things fit right.

• Thanks 1

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

Your upper house looks similar to mine. At the time I also questioned flow because the hose wasn’t completely round allowing for optimum flow. I decided to trust in the manufacturer and not cut anything. Happy to say my car runs very cool and all is operating as it should. Very happy with the hoses and the clamps. Not a single leak. That said, I was working with a stock radiator. 

Series 1, 1969 2002