• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slow starter

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Is the general concensus that the fix for a slow starter is to replace it with a M3 starter? With a fully charged battery my starter seems very slow turning, but it does start. Current starter is 31 years old (original) so maybe needs replacement? Suggestions???

Guest Anonymous

f1h.jpg

it's time to show your car alittle love.

Even a new Original 02 starter will work wonders . Replace all ancient wires to the starter, battery, and ground at same time. It willbe a good thing .

Peace .

Guest Anonymous

the starter, shine up any grounds, check for corrosion in the wires themselves. The problem is rarely the starter itself.

Guest Anonymous

brass bushing into a plastic sleeve--sleeve disintegrates and bushing turns with armature, causing a BIG drag. Easy to fix if you have access to a drill press; check it out and if that's the problem, drop me an e-mail for instructions on how to repair. And while you're in there, you can replace the brushes--new ones are available from Bosch and it's a few minutes to solder 'em in. I fixed the same problem with my '73's starter motor.

Cheers

Mike