• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what do you guys think of the vw GTI alloys?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

f3_1_b.JPG

Anyone have any pics of them on an 02? I think they have a 35mm offset.

the cheap wheel crusades continues...

Guest Anonymous

so simple, but so nice :) ... even the stinking profanity USA "GTI"s ('83-84) were kinda nice...

-Rob (VW idiot before becoming a BMW idiot... converted a '76 USA Rabbit to Euro-spec 110hp 1.6 liter, 1900lb toothy devil son-of-a-bitch that would catch on fire on extended-G high-speed right-hand turns :))

Guest Anonymous

Im selling my VW rabbit truck (caddy) to gat a 2002. They are fun to drive, like go-karts, and they have a million cheap parts, but overall they are piles. I will always love the rabbit, but there is so much better out there.

Guest Anonymous

slap a 10mm spacer in there and you're good to go! they are light and strong; what else is there?!

-Rob (would hold out for some gen-2 15x6es ;))

Guest Anonymous

Do not try to bolt these up using BMW lug bolts or lug nuts, these GTI rims are made for ball-seat lugs.

Most standard vehicle (and all BMW) lug nuts & lug bolts are conical shape (60 degree), and it would be very dangerous to use on wheels like these (that require ball-seat lugs).

The offset is too much to run without spacers.

Not worth the trouble, IMHO

Guest Anonymous

finished.jpg

I use them for street wheels on my 02. I think they're 38mm ET, not 35. I have a 5mm spacer in the front, none in the rear.

They are ball-seat wheels, as someone else mentioned. That said, they do work with conical nuts. Over time, they're starting to kinda mangle my nuts, but I don't care:).

I've driven a few thousand miles with them - they don't come loose, they work fine. I torque them to 80 ft/lbs.

Clearance in the rear is a nonissue, in the front, they get close to the strut and tie rod end, hence the 5mm spacer.

Dunno; using a ball-seat wheel with conical nuts is a Bad Idea. I take the wheels on and off this car enough that they never really get the chance to work themselves loose. I don't know if they would, honestly, but do it at your own risk.

That said, it does not scare me a bit - I know lots and lots of people who've done similar things, and used ball nuts on conical wheels, etc.

It _can_ work. It _does_ work. It is probably not the best idea in the world, though:).

I guess it looks ok. My car is ratty enough that the wheels are kinda irrelevant:).

Iain Mannix

http://www.fsp2002.com/images/finished.jpg