• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best fitting period wheels

Thanks Steve, good tip, I will look over there as well, my wheel problem is a big one :-)

I wonder if I can get away with 6" wheels, I'm thinking that because I neglected to mention I am about to refit my fixed camber plates.

Cheers.

8 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

...I wonder if I can get away with 6" wheels, I'm thinking that because I neglected to mention I am about to refit my fixed camber plates....

Maybe!  There is an ET28 version of the 6x13 Ronal Kleeblatt that stands the best chance of fitting with 185/70 tires and a lowered suspension. One of our members is currently running the 6x13 ET28 rims with either 185/70 or 205/60 tires (the following thread discusses 205/60 but I’m not certain if doza59 ultimately ran the 205/60’s):

But there is also an ET15 version of the 6x13 Kleeblatt that might not work. Currently, on the German forum, a fellow has a set of four 6x13 Kleeblatts for sale: two ET28 and two ET15. Unfortunately, the rims have new tires on them so you’d be paying for his choice of tire and to ship mounted tires to Australia — sounds not so great.

https://marktplatz.bmw-02-club.de/showad.php?adid=19711

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I ran a set of the 6x13 ET28 Ronal Kleeblatt wheels on my slightly lowered 2002tii with 185/70 R13 tires.  They fit perfectly with no rubbing at all.  The 185/70 tires did look a little bit stretched on the 6" wide wheels though.  I do have fixed camber plates on the front too.  I believe that they would also fit using 205/60 tires as I did test fit the rims with 205/60 tires when I first bought the rims, but didn't really drive much on them with those 205/60s.  Good luck,

John

• Like 2

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

One comment I would add about the Ronal Kleeblatt wheels.  I love the way that they look and also the fit of the 6x13 ET28 wheel.  The thing I don't like about them is that they use shank style lug nuts.  Those lug nuts are a PITA in my opinion.  That's it,

John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

On 7/4/2018 at 7:34 PM, jgerock said:

Fitting - or looking - or both?

I love the Cosmics,  Ronal Kleeblatts, ATS Classics and Gotti aftermarket rims.

IMG_6354.jpg

Black2002August1983.jpg

SubtleDynamicsadGotti.jpg

MathisWheelAdFeb82.jpg

@jgerock, you have no idea how happy this has made me. its very hard to find any information on those 6 spoke style Gottis (40-US and the 150s I have are essentially the same design with slight variations and different sizing), and seeing original advertising made my day. in the next month or so... they'll be on the car. 

IMG_0249.JPG

• Like 2

-Sam

1976 Pastellblau Project

Sorry no Campys here but ATS Classic was mentioned before without a picture. That gives me a reason to show off what I just bought :)   ATS Classic 6x13" ET30.

ATS3.jpg

• Like 2

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

17 hours ago, fastricky said:

Someone please post some Campy wheels, the absolute nicest.

Sorry: not on the car yet....

Campagnolo Bertone rims (a.k.a., Spider or Ragno). Like all Campagnolo rims of the era, they were cast in a proprietary magnesium alloy, Elektron. Just under 10 lbs. each in the 5.5” wide version (I suppose the 6” version weighs a bit more).

Regards,

Steve

09A55DD6-0B00-42A4-8E78-AF6A535D9E9A.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, jgerock said:

Campy's   All of these pictures were taken by me at the Vintage at the Vineyards (Shelton) 2009.

86299945.jpg

71c2eab8.jpg

a55ac09f.jpg

36d0f095.jpg

c8533b28.jpg

The top one is my all time favourite wheel on an 02, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen those ones for sale. I would love a set!

Nearly had my BWAs on at the weekend until I couldn’t get my Billie strut nut off and then found leaky rear wheel cylinders..... one day they will be on the car!

Neither pic really does them justice, they are actually like this last pic.

D17604FE-0A07-40C5-BF6C-77CB60ED9B9C.jpeg

B289476B-8409-4D5D-A53B-521A9C5B3E48.jpeg

2F766D49-B773-4629-9B05-2CD80EDA3D37.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/10/2018 at 9:15 AM, SydneyTii said:

The top one is my all time favourite wheel on an 02, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen those ones for sale....

That’s likely because they are very rare!  ?

Seriously, in a 13” tire size, I have only ever seen 7”-wide versions of that rim.  That accords with what I see in the History of Wheels page for Campagnolo:

http://www.histowheels.com/Campagnolo/

Yes, I’ve noted some omissions from this latter source, but until I see a narrower version, or someone shows me a narrower version, I’m stickin’ with my story.

The 7 x 13, 4x100, version is model 40549.

At a nominal width of 7”, this beautiful rim would likely not qualify for “best fitting period wheel” unless you had flares.  The Polaris tii in Jim’s photos has stretched tires — OK, OK, I really dislike the whole concept of stretched tires! — and, I’m guessing, rolled and pulled fenders.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

Sorry guys, ordering a fresh set of rubber for my original steelies, it's fresh and it fits. Momos might be for sale. Cheese cutters on the 16 and I am good to go. Fancy wheels are cool but the Munich designers nailed it

• Like 1

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

• 5 months later...

Back in the thread to talk about Gottis. My 15" Gotti 150s (15x8 and 7) fit about as perfectly as I could have hoped for. I'm sure they're not everyone's cup of tea but hot damn, I am in love with how they look. 

Now to, uh... try to make the rest of the car not look like a pile of junk. 

sF4PlIt.jpg

• Like 3

-Sam

1976 Pastellblau Project

They suit your car, I like the way it sits.

Ok cleaning up my Octavos at last, will have Sportstars and Octavos to choose from soon. Very different wheels but they both suit the 02, and with my all new suspension setup I keen to see how the 13’s feel.

Exciting!!

D756D3DA-52A0-4E0A-805F-3259159FAF94.jpeg

4D471480-5983-4525-976E-14455AA0CEE6.png

Edited by SydneyTii