• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best fitting period wheels

Hi all,

given the et consideration for all wheels going onto an 02, what in your opinion is the best fitting 13” wheel other than the factory option.

i know bbs Mahle for example in 6” is et13 so not so great especially if lowered and in 5.5”? Are et 18 the later the same for turbines all of which I really like ( must be my age)

my 6” BWA ‘s are et19 so while not optimal they fit ok.

your thoughts ?

Like you, I like the 320i turbines.  You get the Alpina look, relatively cheap and plentiful in the US.  With et 18 offset, they fit without rubbing on moderately dropped suspensions.  Downside, they are hard to clean.

Mark92131

DSCF0015.jpg

• Like 2

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

I like ATS Classics and they come in 13x5.5 et20-something.

Other wheels that come to mind are CMR (Alpina) wheels. Available in 13x5 and 13x5.5 (if my memory serves me correctly.)

But my favorites are Ronal Kleeblatts. jgerock has them in his TI clone. Awesome wheel. I have a staggered set in 13x7 & 8 that I will be running soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

I think you need to further define your goal here.  As previously said, there are loads of true period rims that were manufactured specifically for ‘02’s with ‘02-appropriate ET’s, generally from ET29 to ET19 — OEM steelies, OEM alloys by FPS and Mahle, CMR steelies marketed by Alpina and Borrani, ATS, BWA, Campagnolo, Cromodora, FPS, L.O.W., Minilite, Ronal, etc. Most of these are 5” and 5 1/2” rims. They fit perfectly.

My sense, however, is that you are not simply asking for period rims in 5” and 5 1/2” sizes. Are you, for instance, asking for the widest period rims that will fit an un-modified ‘02?

Typically, a 5 1/2” rim of ET18 or a 6” rim of ET13 was probably manufactured primarily for the e21 market, although many can still work on an ‘02. And I’m assuming you’re defining “period” in the wider sense, say, “rims of the ‘70’s or ‘80’s” — rather than narrowly, say, “rims from the 1966-76 era.” Yes?

Have you browsed the Wheels Database to see what styles you prefer?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

7 hours ago, Conserv said:

I think you need to further define your goal here.  As previously said, there are loads of true period rims that were manufactured specifically for ‘02’s with ‘02-appropriate ET’s, generally from ET29 to ET19 — OEM steelies, OEM alloys by FPS and Mahle, CMR steelies marketed by Alpina and Borrani, ATS, BWA, Campagnolo, Cromodora, FPS, L.O.W., Minilite, Ronal, etc. Most of these are 5” and 5 1/2” rims. They fit perfectly.

My sense, however, is that you are not simply asking for period rims in 5” and 5 1/2” sizes. Are you, for instance, asking for the widest period rims that will fit an un-modified ‘02?

Typically, a 5 1/2” rim of ET18 or a 6” rim of ET13 was probably manufactured primarily for the e21 market, although many can still work on an ‘02. And I’m assuming you’re defining “period” in the wider sense, say, “rims of the ‘70’s or ‘80’s” — rather than narrowly, say, “rims from the 1966-76 era.” Yes?

Have you browsed the Wheels Database to see what styles you prefer?

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Well I knew what I meant in my tiny brain, but I suppose I better explain myself , sorry everyone! (my wife always says well you know what you want, bet hell I don't)

I guess the little voice in my head only stays there.... that's not a bad thing btw :-)

So my first mistake was not explaining the criteria

1. Not something that came from the factory / Dealer on an 02

So ruling out Mahle bottle tops, FPS wheels, BBS basket weaves from an e21, Turbines from an e21, Not steel wheels from an 02 or e21

But ruling in:

2. Octavo + GB / Dunlop wheels (so perhaps after market supplied by the dealer but not so much what gets confused with a BMW wheel, like a wheel made for BMW eg FPS or Mahle, assuming I have that correct)

3. A mildly lowered car say no more than a 1 inch drop, with uprated springs and shocks.

4. Not standard ride height, that's too easy and there are quite a few

5. Not concerned with the width they just have to fit under criteria 3+4

6. Date range, quite right Steve im thinking in a wider sense. Late 60s to mid 80's  For example I run e30 basketweaves, they are simply an excellent wheel, they fit, they are a good quality wheel, and well they just work and look good, lets not talk about cleaning though!! (mind you its not that bad) But I had more of a vintage look in mind and given they are late 80's and BMW supplied then they are out. So perhaps mid to late 70's really appeals, but hey i'm fickle..

Have I browsed the wheel database, are you kidding :-) its the source of my problem :-) :-) and what a problem to have,  its a fabulous resource, and  I've submitted a few of them, my BWA's in particular.

I didn't realise to be honest that an et19 would fit a slightly lowered 02, but thinking about it, given production variances I guess some it would and some it may not.

I'm happy for this topic to be flooded with pics as well guys.... :-)

Thanks for the feedback, always appreciated.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

Hi Steve,

Well I knew what I meant in my tiny brain, but I suppose I better explain myself , sorry everyone! (my wife always says well you know what you want, bet hell I don't)

I guess the little voice in my head only stays there.... that's not a bad thing btw ?

So my first mistake was not explaining the criteria

1. Not something that came from the factory / Dealer on an 02

So ruling out Mahle bottle tops, FPS wheels, BBS basket weaves from an e21, Turbines from an e21, Not steel wheels from an 02 or e21

But ruling in:

2. Octavo + GB / Dunlop wheels (so perhaps after market supplied by the dealer but not so much what gets confused with a BMW wheel, like a wheel made for BMW eg FPS or Mahle, assuming I have that correct)

3. A mildly lowered car say no more than a 1 inch drop, with uprated springs and shocks.

4. Not standard ride height, that's too easy and there are quite a few

5. Not concerned with the width they just have to fit under criteria 3+4

6. Date range, quite right Steve im thinking in a wider sense. Late 60s to mid 80's  For example I run e30 basketweaves, they are simply an excellent wheel, they fit, they are a good quality wheel, and well they just work and look good, lets not talk about cleaning though!! (mind you its not that bad) But I had more of a vintage look in mind and given they are late 80's and BMW supplied then they are out. So perhaps mid to late 70's really appeals, but hey i'm fickle..

Have I browsed the wheel database, are you kidding :-) its the source of my problem ? ? and what a problem to have,  its a fabulous resource, and  I've submitted a few of them, my BWA's in particular.

I didn't realise to be honest that an et19 would fit a slightly lowered 02, but thinking about it, given production variances I guess some it would and some it may not.

I'm happy for this topic to be flooded with pics as well guys.... ?

Thanks for the feedback, always appreciated.

Got it.

And I suppose the follow-up questions are:

1.  "What size tires do you intend to run." If you are happy with the original 165/80-13 size, most of the '02 5" and 5.5" rims (ET29 to ET19) should fit happily with your lowered suspension. But as you move to 185/70-13 and 205/60-13, your options will narrow. Many of the period rims, such as Ronal Kleeblatts, were available in both 5.5" and 6" sizes. Back in the day, a 5.5" might be paired with a stock 165/80 or the wider 185/70, while the 6" would be paired with a 185/70 or a 205/60. There is a difference in fitment.

2.  "Do you have stock '02 brakes?" Tii or "Big Brakes" will narrow your options, because the calipers are larger, and may interfere with the rim. Minor interference of this sort can be resolved with a grinding wheel applied judiciously to areas of the offending caliper.

3.  "Are you interested in rolling your fender lips or "pulling" your fenders to provide more clearance?"

If I had to guess, Sam Adam's Inka touring is running 5.5" Kleeblatts with 185/70-13 tires, and is slightly lowered from stock.

Regards,

Steve

11 hours ago, Conserv said:

Got it.

And I suppose the follow-up questions are:

1.  "What size tires do you intend to run." If you are happy with the original 165/80-13 size, most of the '02 5" and 5.5" rims (ET29 to ET19) should fit happily with your lowered suspension. But as you move to 185/70-13 and 205/60-13, your options will narrow. Many of the period rims, such as Ronal Kleeblatts, were available in both 5.5" and 6" sizes. Back in the day, a 5.5" might be paired with a stock 165/80 or the wider 185/70, while the 6" would be paired with a 185/70 or a 205/60. There is a difference in fitment.

2.  "Do you have stock '02 brakes?" Tii or "Big Brakes" will narrow your options, because the calipers are larger, and may interfere with the rim. Minor interference of this sort can be resolved with a grinding wheel applied judiciously to areas of the offending caliper.

3.  "Are you interested in rolling your fender lips or "pulling" your fenders to provide more clearance?"

If I had to guess, Sam Adam's Inka touring is running 5.5" Kleeblatts with 185/70-13 tires, and is slightly lowered from stock.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve,

1. I will run 185x70x13 and my current 13inch rims are:

Ocatvo 5.5x13 haven't measured the et and cant see it on the wheel ( i will measure when I take the very old tyres off)

BWA Sportstars 6x13 et 19

Alpina Copies 6x13 et 15 ish (have tyres on but I think I got it right) wish I knew more about these Toho wheels they are ridiculously light.

Im reading good things about CN36 tyres but they cost a bit in Aus.

2. My car is a Tii with stock refreshed brakes.

3. Fender rolling/pulling

I don't mind rolling but i'm not sure i'd pull them, and i'd wait for a hot day to roll them as the paint on my car is quite thick. Luckily Aus has many of those :-)

4. That Inka touring looks fabulous, and is a look I like.

1 hour ago, SydneyTii said:

....4. That Inka touring looks fabulous, and is a look I like.....

It’s such an appealing look, I pointed to it because I thought I could lead you in that direction, ☺️ after Jim G. set the trap with his photos and personal Kleeblatt obsession.... ?

Ronal Kleeblatts (technically Ronal, model R2) are not particularly common in the U.S., but, being German-manufactured, are quite plentiful and reasonably priced in....Germany.  There always seem to be a couple sets available on the German ‘02 forum. A 5.5” Ronal Kleeblatt with a Pirelli CN36 is hard to argue with.... ☺️

I mention 5.5” Ronals only because it might give you a touch more room for your lowered stance.

Regards,

Steve