• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody know if R-22 is compatible with R-12 ???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

They sell it locally but I don't know if it works. There was a listing a while ago of all the different refrigerants but I can't find it now.

Tom in Phoenix with two black cars and no AC

Guest Anonymous

I'm in the same situation with my car and a/c. There is a product called R12a that is supposed to be compatable but the shops I've talked to say stay away. R12 is still widely available (check a web search) from several suppliers but it is very costly. I think I'm gonna do the R134 changeover from Vintageair.com. The whole kit is $561 including comp., drier, hoses and new condenssor.

Guest Anonymous

R22 is for household and industrial a/c systems and is not compatible. There are some R12 replacement freons on the market that are suppose to work, but shops won't touch them. Its all about the oils mixing with the freon and being able to be moved around inside the system. When they don't mix well you get problems.

Personally, I would convert to R134a, but you might get some responses from those who have used R12 "replacements".

Dan