• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did the Machine shop screw up my head??

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey,

I have a question. I recently took a head in to be decked and have some other minor stuff done, including a cleaning. I got the head back and it looks like they bead blasted the head the only concern I have is that they didn't cover the camshaft journals? if that is what they are called. So now instead of being mirror shiny smooth they are dull. Is this somthing that can just be polished smooth again, or does it have to be, or what. I am a little concerned as it is a metal on metal sort of area. Thanks for any input,

Emery

Guest Anonymous

pretty sure that what makes them shiny is the cam spinning in there. just like cylinder walls are dull when you have them bored/honed, but after the pistons have run in there they shine up. just a thought.

mike

Guest Anonymous

The engine builders I work with NEVER glass bead ANYTHING that oils the engine. They will carfully mask off any of the interior areas that could be exposed to the bead. Most of them used, plastic, walnut shells or soda. The glass bead essentially impregnates the aluminum (to a certain degree) which is a bad thing when it comes loose inside your motor. Call Jack Fanuna at Pro BMW.

Guest Anonymous

tanking a piece. My machine shop uses ultrasonic for cleaning and does a great job of making aluminum look new again without harsh heat or caustic chemicals.

If you glass bead aluminum,, like a piston you need an old dishwasher to run it through a cycle, to thouroughly clean.