Sign in to follow this  
Ray Brandes

Sport Engine Rebuild Complete

6 posts / 681 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

Yesterday I started the Sport engine for the first time. I got the car and engine home Feb. 14th, Ash Wednesday. Since then I have been rebuilding/restoring the motor.

One of the cylinder skirts had a big chunk missing and the pistons were standard, not Sport and aftermarket as well. 

The cylinders were sleeved and NOS over size pistons were procured.

The heads needed all four valves replaced. 

All the bearings and seals were replaced and the carbs rebuilt. 

Some of the tin was banged up. I straightened as best as I cold and repainted. I blocked off the heater ports.

I built a control panel with an ignition switch, a starter button, the regulator and the coils.

With all the static adjustments completed, I cranked the motor without spark plugs to get the oil circulating.

I pulled a valve cover and there was oil pooled in it so I guess the pump is pumping.

Then with plugs, but without the fuel pump hooked up, I primed the carbs and cranked it and it popped.

I pulled the plugs, plumbed in the fuel pump and cranked it a bit to get gas to the carbs.

Finally, with the plugs back in, it was time to see if it would run....

It's Alive!

Edited by Ray Brandes

Actually, it is a Honda Fit. It is a mini van once you fold the rear seats flat!

1 hour ago, Ray Brandes said:

Actually, it is a Honda Fit. It is a mini van once you fold the rear seats flat!

My depth perception was off due to the size of the 700 engine😉

WELL DONE, Ray.   I am jealous of your immense talent.

Where did you procure your Sport pistons and valves?  I may be facing the same issues with my Sport Coupe.

Dave

Dave,

I got the valves from Werner at Isettas-R-Us. The pistons came from Germany via Elliott Butler.

Elliott also handled sleeving and boring the cylinders.

Regards, Ray