• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charging Question Take 3 (long)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi everybody,

Well, if I was stumped before I really am now. Did some more work to try and solve a dim-glowing charging light after replacing a voltage regulator. With the car idling, the battery reads 12.38...a little low. The output from the alternator (one lead on a strut tower bolt, the other touching the red wire coming out of alt to battery) reads 17.00!!(?). The alternator tested fine on the stand at the parts store. Ignition off, battery reads 12.45. Still a little low.

Is this something I need to worry about, or leave it be? My E12 has had a dim alternator light for 2 years - never any problem.

I'm still stumped as to why this started after replacing one of the wires coming off the battery...maybe I put things back together in the wrong order or something?

Thanks for your help and patience!

Brian

'70 2002

Guest Anonymous

13-5934480.JPG

recheck your wirringg....... &

key off - batt. voltage = 12.00 to 12.65 V

engine running @ 2000 rpm - batt. votage 14.1 ...14.2 V MAX .

Guest Anonymous

The red 12 gauge wire from the positive battery terminal to Fuse 5 (powers hazard switch, interior light,cigar lighter, and ???) was bad, so I unhooked that wire and ran another one in it's place. Does it matter how it's hooked into the positive terminal? There were a couple of other things hooked into the same auxilary post of the battery - could I be getting some bad mojo there or something?

The problem started after replacing that wire and a faulty hazard switch. Dim glow in the charging light for a few days, then apparently the regulator went out (coincidence or not?), so I replaced that with one from O'Reilly.

This is REALLY frustrating...

Thanks again for your help...

Brian

'70 2002