• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Automatic trans early down shift from 3rd to 2nd gear . . .

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My 75 2002A has been downshifting from 3rd to 2nd gear a little prematurely. This has been occuring since in got the car a couple of months ago. It does not seem to hurt the car - just makes the engine rev higher that appropriate.

It seems to do this when the engine is good and warm. It does not happen when I am stopping, just when I have reduced speed, say from going 50 mph to cruising at about 25 to 30 mph.

I vaguely remember my 76 2002A doing the same thing sometimes but not as often.

Has anyone hear about or experienced this? Are there any adjustment for this?

Thanks

Guest Anonymous

was having a problem where my automatic was taking "more than normal" to change gear during the morning (car had not reached normal temperature).

I had a tranny oil leak which was fixed and she is working great in all temps and in all gear. My theory is that when I corrected the leak, the filter was cleaned and the ATF was replaced.

Try cleaning the filter and replacing the ATF (I assume you have no leak to worry about).

HTH

Victor

'74 autoamatic

Bimmer%20LS.JPG height=200 width=300

'76 02

Guest Anonymous

got the car. There is, however, a slight leak of ATF.

I have had auto trans before that would delay the upshift as the transmission aged. That premature downshift tho is a curiosity.

Guest Anonymous

linkage back toward the firewall. The top end connector is threaded and lengthening the rod may cure your problem. If not, try going the other way. It's a real easy adjustment to make - 5 min. tops.

Bob Napier

'76 Automatic

'75 Automatic

'74 Standard

Guest Anonymous

I do not have premature downshift when I accelerate hard so I don't know if that tells you anything.

Will check out tho. Thanks.