• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice: Fixed Camber Plates

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I currently have bilstien sports, h&r progressives, and 15"

panasports w/pirelli p700 and would like to fix the camber at

about 3/4 of a degree (negative). Does this sound like the

correct way to go about gaining more grip (excluding other

methods such as sway bars, etc,) or would the camber plates

be a waste of funds? Were should I go to find a decent set,

new or used, for a reasonable price?

Guest Anonymous

My e9 coupe came with a set of Ireland's front plates (about 5/8 of a degree), and nothing against Jeff, but it's a bit of a band-aid solution to me.

On the plus side, turn-in is noticably improved (a big plus on the coupe), which is what they're designed to do.

On the downside, the plates raise the front of the car about 3/8", which can matter a lot on a lowered car. The result in handling is increased understeer - suddenly you're driving a motorboat. Soooo, you can cut the springs up front by a coil or so or raise the ear end.

Other alternatives: adjustable strut bearings. I had a set of metal plate (track) bearings in the 02 for a while, but they were seriously harsh for the street. Ireland has K-Mac adjustable urethane bearings that he says are better for the street. Sound interesting and good value at 250 bucks if they work well.