• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine out...now what?

Mars55

Hi all - The engine from my '68 1600 is out while the engine area is repaired of some rust and painted. I'm still learning abut this car since I bought it late last year; engine runs but the car hasn't been road-worthy (brakes, etc).

The shop owner will let me use his shop to clean up the engine. He suggested I can use his sand blaster on some of the brackets and other parts while they're easy to get to. This is new to me: what would you do? Which parts should/could be cleaned safely. And as for sand blasting...?

All suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Depends on your goals, timeline and budget. 

I'm a 02 rookie and in the same boat as you. My 2.0 engine (attached to front sub frame and trans) is out and on the garage floor. I have a notional plan which includes most of the items below that will kick off once my home paint job is complete.

My Moto: Embrace the mission creep - plan for it to drive another 50 years!

That said and excluding all the things that you can do to the engine and/or engine swaps, here are some ideas (most of which you can do with the engine in as well).  It's certainly not exhaustive but food for thought.

• Clean everything
  • Paint engine bay
  • Powder coat or chrome plate as desired
  • Inspect repair or replace heater box / hoses
  • Inspect repair or replace steering box
  • Inspect repair or replace suspension
  • Consider an Alternator upgrade
  • Consider E30 M3 Starter
  • Consider new carb options or FI options
  • Consider 5spd upgrade
  • Inspect repair or replace wiper motor
  • Inspect repair or replace Washer fluid reservoir, pump and hoses
  • Inspect repair or replace hood hardware/pads bump stop thingys (Anything rubber)
  • Consider upgrading your pedal box and Brake booster to 2002
    • If your sticking with the 1600 Booster (tuna can thingy) Linwar motors in southport England has em
    • Run new brake lines (Single or dual circuit)
    • Replace MC
    • If you are upgrade to a 2002 booster consider having it rebuilt (IE or 2002AD and others do this)
  • Replace the Sound barrier (Just bought one from Blunt)
  • Replace rubber elephant trunk drains (not sure what they are called)
  • Make provisions for a trunk based battery
  • Consider installing A/C system (Yeah - I'm thinking about it)
  • Test electrical / overhaul and Re-wrap
    • Inspect repair or replace grounds
  • If you dropped your sub frame - re-enforce engine mounts (IE has the plates or make your own)
  • Consider replace front sub frame hardware (I just bought some pretty new hardware from WN
  • Overhaul struts/paint
  • ETc...

Basic engine items: 

• all new belts,
  • hoses,
  • water pump,
  • thermostat,
  • various gaskets,
  • motor mounts,
  • trans mount,
  • clamps,
  • oil,
  • antifreeze,
  • oil filter,
  • and misc hardware (Alt bush etc...). 

Good Luck...let me know if you think of anything else - I'll may add it to my list.

Iphone pictures 1117.JPG

Iphone pictures 1115.JPG