chago997

Bumper and body plugs

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Helllo. How have you’all resolved these holes? Are there any plugs available for them? At rear euro  bumper and adjacent to US license plate lights. It’s a new to me ‘73. Car came without the rear overriders.

53C947F1-6964-4CF4-AABD-28A8A81926D0.jpeg

97E66411-7E1E-48DE-8CE6-5D2727570E25.jpeg

On my bumper (no override) there's a bolt that goes through it all. It combines center section, side piece and the c shaped small connector. They're not OEM though.

My 69 has some plastic coated plugs for the two little holes next to the license plate. They were body colored, but I was able to peel the original color from them (Nevada).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jgerock said:

My 69 has some plastic coated plugs for the two little holes next to the license plate.

All US spec roundies came with those little plugs.  They covered the holes meant to attach a German license plate to the rear body panel and of course weren't used on US cars.  The original plugs had plastic bases, but the heads are actually polished metal.  They're almost never removed when the car is repainted, so end up body color.  Once you have the old paint off, you can polish the heads and clear coat 'em, and they'll look just like they came from the factory.

For the rubber strip on the bumper:  All US cars came with overriders front and rear; someone has removed yours.  Euro cars without the overriders had a rubber strip without the hole for the overrider mounting bolt.  The US one (with hole) is NLA; if you can't find a Euro one, plug the hole with a black plastic or rubber plug.  

BTW, if your car is a '73 (pointy front bumper guards) then someone has removed/replaced the rear bumper brackets.  '73 (only) US cars had oval-shaped rear brackets that moved the bumper about 4 inches away from the body.  You car appears to have been fitted with the 68-72 brackets, that push the bumper tight against the rear panel.  

mike

Yes, both bumpers have the ‘72 an earlier brackets although it’s a ‘73. Done by PO. 

Is that body plug still available?

and is the black bumper strip without hole available too? Europe I suppose 

thanks again

10 hours ago, chago997 said:

Is that body plug still available

Don't think so.  It was a US only part, so a lot of those (like the center rear bumper section without the license plate light holes, the license plate light assemblies etc) are NLA.  Check with Steve (Blunt Tech) about those.

Might try W&N for the rubber strip without holes.

cheers

mike