• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions Re: 84 325e

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Havent heard back from the SAAB guy regarding a

1971 Model 99. So, onto another prospect.

I've found a 325e, 6 cyl. manual for well

under $1000. It has under 100K. Good straight body with a sunroof, but supposedly has exhaust and suspension issues. Red leather recaros.

Too nice to part out. Don't need another car, but might be too nice to pass up. Any opinions regarding this car is VERY welcome.

Jerry

Guest Anonymous

The only good thing about them is the amount of low end torque. And possibly fuel mileage. If I were you I would look for an "I" or an "IS". but if you must have the ETA, change the Damn timing belt. Last thing I want to do is have to rebuild the head for you. Not a fun job! Timing belt only takes a few hours, and is cheap insurance!

Guest Anonymous

I've owned a couple different "e" models and have worked on plenty. They're good engines that have an undeserved bad rap. They do have good low end torque and low redline, which is why they get good fuel mileage. That was the whole idea behind their design. If you want a commuter it'd be perfect. 25mpg easy.

Guest Anonymous

The timing belt is an issue but it is on the "i" and "is" too!

I have had "eta's" with well over 200k and ran great!

Guest Anonymous

original motor and it burned no oil, ran smooth and strong, and averaged 27mpg. I used to take the car from NYC to Boston and Washington DC all the time, without a hiccup. I know that a lot of the horsepower junkies 'dis the eta cars, but my experience (and I love HP by the way!) was great...I couldn't think of a better commuter...

Coop

Guest Anonymous

My wife drove an 88 325 for 10years!!! It was a great car, I didn't have to do shit to it hardly at all. And when I did, it was for everything that's just "usual" and I was able to do the work no problems.

Do the timing belt, don't forget the tensioner wheel, it's cheap insurance to do it right. Watch for non-functional gauges, the cluster battery dies regularly, so you'll probalby need to go at it. There's lots of info on the *gasp* roadfly E30 board. Parts do cost a bit more than our humble 2002, but it's a super reliable fun to drive commuter at 25mpg.

Of course the '88 was actually the 'super ETA' engine. The thing ran like a top, made good power, and was nice to drive.

-----------

BigDog

'76 2002

Guest Anonymous

The exhaust is no biggie, however, if they refer to banging when you're driving (especially under acceleration) it's likely a driveline center bearing or guibo issue, at any rate, fairly inexpensive to fix, but kind of a PITA as the driveshaft does not have replaceable U-joints, so you'll need an experienced driveline shop for some help.

For the suspension issues, I can't imagine, my wife's went 140k on the original suspension without much difficulty.

--

BD

Guest Anonymous

It's a simple and elegant car. I have an '89 325is, and I kind of wish it had an eta engine. I drive around town mostly, and the low-end torque would be welcome (as would the better gas mileage and higher lifespan!).

Guest Anonymous

and drove it till '98. Went from 47k to 230k when I sold it and never had a problem except standard maintenance issues.

nf

'73 Tii

'73 '02

'90 535i (replaced the 325e)

Guest Anonymous

years ago, only routine maint and a scheduled timing belt change...with under 100k, that '84 has more miles left on the engine than the body has life in a rustbelt climate. Sounds like a good deal....etas are bulletproof so long as the timing belt is looked after.

Mike