• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW Wagon for Sale in Toronto - salvage value?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

That's a risky buy without seeing it in person beforehand. A friend bought a '99 528i that was hit in the front and expected to replace about what that car looks like it needs, then learned that the engine had been hit and bent every mounting mount on the drivetrain all the way back to the rearend. It also had a cracked block, so he had to buy another engine for it.

I wouldn't consider it without a thorough inspection.

Dan

Guest Anonymous

It seems that this car has been bouncing around and no one is willing to fix it, why? because it costs too much money, and at the end it will be "salvage". A lot of people already ran the numbers and it is simply not economical to do it, in the long run it is cheaper to buy one with no damage (if you consider re-sale value into the equation).

I personally never made money fixing a total, and I own a bodyshop! There are exceptions, like somebody really makes a mistake assesing the damage, or you have insight as to the real value of the car, like Coop $202 tii.

On this one, however, I would pass

Guest Anonymous

Are you familiar with this specific car?

Excellent response - I suspect that you are right (sadly)

many thanks, Peter

Guest Anonymous

a lot of stuff missing or damaged, HID lights will be very

expensive to replace, airbag computer, sensors, radiator,

core support, grille, hood, bumper assembly, ac condenser,

air intake filter assembly, fenders, we are not even looking at

structural, suspension or paint yet. Easily $6k-$8K in parts

alone, add labor and unknowns for another $6k we are

looking at $14k plus whatever they want for the car probably

another $6k. $20k for a salvage car, assuming no surprises

or hidden damages, too risky. Notice that the frontal shot

was conveniently omitted too.

Guest Anonymous

Only thing I can say is this........ if you're planning on doing something totally custom like dumping a BMW V8 motor into something like this out of a 540 or M5 and have a lot of money to spend, then this may be a worthwhile investment if it can be secured for the right price. And the right price would be negotiated privately and not on Ebay. I'd also have someone put it on a hoist that knows BMW's and look at it VERY closely.