• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 speed transmission leak, front/rear

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Replaced the 4 speed in my 1973 with a 1971 because the synchro in 2nd was grinding. The 1971 was a lot better but after 8 months it is leaking in the front and mostly rear and the transmission mount is broke.

It looks like the rear seal is a problem getting the output flange off with a 30.5 mm or 1 3/16 thin wall socket. Don't know what I replace for the front seal.

Is this something I should be doing? I swapped transmissions because I didn't want to take them apart.

Assuming I do this, need a rear seal, coarse

23 12 1 204 209

Transmission mount, may have to drill cross member

23 71 1 246 004 or 23.71.1.175.424

Is there a gasket kit I should get leak?

I am assuming I should replace the front seal

23 12 1 204 211

Someone said I should also replace the shifter platform mounts at the same time. True?

It seems every time I try and save money and time I end up doing the same work twice. How hard is it to replace a synchro on the original transmission? Sounds like just doing seals on the better transmission is the easier way to go. I hate leaks and they don't do my garage any good.

Guest Anonymous

Also a big leaker...

Regarding the output flange, good luck. I've still got a tranny sitting on my garage floor with an output flange that will *NOT* come off. I have the socket, ground down to fit, I've soaked it in liquid wrench, and every now and then I hit it with the impact wrench still no joy. It's probably going to take heat to get it off of there. Good luck man!

-----------

BigDog

'76 2002 Spare 4-spd With Stuck Output Flange