• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LSD swap (also known as beating a dead horse)?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Honestly, I have read and re-read till my eyes hurt..but its still not clear to me. What do I need to do to install my LSD? What I have is:

- late 3.91 LSD

- spacers and bolts from Varco

- 82 320i parted out

So with my above parts.. I should be able to take the inner CV's off the late 320, put them onto my 02 shafts, use the spacers, and away I go? How do I get the CV's off/on, just clips? Also, anything I should be replacing while I'm doing this? (already put urethane into my diff mount)

thx

Matt

Guest Anonymous

I put mine in last year. I used a 40% lsd 320i diff and 320 axle shafts and put the 2002 CV joints on the outer side. Once I HAD or found out the parts I needed it was easy but I had more than a little difficulty getting to that point. I had no idea what I was getting into, but this whole project has been that way, so I was stunned and amazed when I got under the car to bolt up the inner flanges and found they were different('02 has 8mm x 60mm thru bolts, 320 has 10mm x 40mm bolts thru threaded flanges, so no nuts) and the diff output shaft to the flange on the 320 is so short that you cannot through bolt due to the lack of clearance for the nut/washer. I didn't know about this site or any others for that matter so after a bunch of failed attempts I got 320 axles (incl inner/outer CV & shaft, pulled the 320 CV and installed the '02 CV. CV's are easy to deal with (snap ring and puller or pin and pounder) and I had never seen one until I took mine apart. I have been told that I did not need spacers because I had the 320 axle and the CV's seemed to fit-up without any hassle, so...So far so good! Best wishes

Guest Anonymous

If i use the (late) 320i axles AND inner cv's, I do NOT need spacers.. and if I JUST use the late 320i inner cv's, then I DO need the spacers, correct? I just don't wanna have to take this apart twice.

Since I already have Varco's spacers, maybe I'll just swap out the inner cv's. Good thing I kept those 320 parts..I almost gave them away a couple months ago :)

matt

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://bimmer.roadfly.org/2002/messages/archive/msgsy2001w29/17104.html

Gil posted this awhile back and the info has helped me immeasurably. I had to change the way I was doing my LSD midstream and this reference saved my ass. There are a lot of ways to do the swap right AND wrong. I ended up using my 02 axles, new cvs from a 79 320i for the inner, a quarter inch spacer from Varco inner also, 02 cvs outer. Pretty much a no-brainer bolt on once you have the parts. Read the link and you'll have it-guaranteed

Guest Anonymous

I recently did this work on my car. 320 diff., 2002 half shafts, 320 cv's on one end, 2002 cv's on the other, spacers. While I was doing this work I noticed that the 320 shaft (I only had one and got the 2, 320 CV's off of it) itself is what is longer than the 2002 shaft. That's what makes up the extra distance and here I am with an expensive spacer kit. Should have just used two 320 shafts. You may want to check my math but the extra 320 shaft length was amazingly close to the spacer thicknes.

Also clean and repack the CV's while you are at it. The 320 cv cover is harder to remove than the 2002 cv cover. Keep one CV together, until you have the method down, so you can check how it goes back together. It is possible to re-assemble the CV wrong such that it has a bind.