• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

square tail light lens seals

swizman

Has anyone found a suitable substitute for that gray soft rubber "string" that seal the square light lenses?

I tried ordering some neoprene "string"...the size was good, but it was too hard, and the lens wasn't able to compress it enough to get a good seal.

It just pains me to pay nearly $50/ea for those things when I know there must be an entire spool of that stuff someplace for about the same price.

Squares need love, too....
'76 Polaris '02; '76 Granatrot '02 (20th US car built for '76); '76 Schwarz '02 (acquired 9/20/17)

Not owning a squarelight I'm not sure the diameter of the original stuff.  Have you tried a closed cell foam, round-cross section weather strip seal.  It's grey, and comes in rolls from your local hardware or home improvement store.  Another possibility would be the grey vinyl solid core "string" that's used to hold window screen in aluminum screen frames.  It's about 3-4mm in diameter, and just might work.  The weather strip seal is much larger in diameter, but is very compressible and soft.  Perhaps you can trim it to fit.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

8 hours ago, mike said:

Not owning a squarelight I'm not sure the diameter of the original stuff.  Have you tried a closed cell foam, round-cross section weather strip seal.  It's grey, and comes in rolls from your local hardware or home improvement store.  Another possibility would be the grey vinyl solid core "string" that's used to hold window screen in aluminum screen frames.  It's about 3-4mm in diameter, and just might work.  The weather strip seal is much larger in diameter, but is very compressible and soft.  Perhaps you can trim it to fit.

mike

I cleaned up my taillight housings using some window weatherstrip from the hardware store.  It was very cheap and pliable. I think it was suggested on an earlier thread.  Looks like it does its job as a moisture barrier, but then again, I don't think its rained in Socal since I installed and might get a few points deducted at Pebble. 

weatherseal.jpg

IMG_2540.JPG

• Like 3

A local fellow 2002 owner (I think he is here as "Pitopop") works in the medical supply bidness and found out that clear IV line works perfectly as a gasket. As a matter of fact, I have some that I will use whenever I start assembling my squaretail back again.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

I used home window screen spline / retainer:

https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Line-Products-7635-Screen-Retainer/dp/B000H5QNEU/ref=asc_df_B000H5QNEU/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=216491680482&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10082348817474973991&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031319&hvtargid=pla-351214740463&psc=1

Worked great, comes in a variety of sizes and colors, it's pliable and has kept the water out.  But, like @Steve Tochi , I live in San Diego and we don't get a whole lot of rain here.  :)

• Haha 1

My "fun" cars so far:                                                                                                                                                                                                            My restoration website:

1976 BMW 2002a                                                                                                                                                                                                           http://www.2002and914.com

1975 Porsche 914

Try McMaster-Carr.  For example, search for specifically: 

Light Duty Weather-Resistant Santoprene Foam Cords

or just foam cord.  There are a bunch, cheap, and various diameters.   Color, though is black for most of them.

image.png.bbfbe31ed637873fc245d4b71bfa1497.png

Color: Black

Temperature Range: -50° to 275° F

Cell Type: Closed

For Use Outdoors: Yes

Density: 15 lbs./cu. ft.

Pressure to Compress 25%: 4 psi (Ultra Soft)

Thanks to all for these ideas.  I like Steves idea of the window weatherstrip.  I think I'll roll in on that first.  And now that it's mentioned, I did hear about the IV tubing solution.   

BTW, Steve I'm VERY jealous of those clean and shiney tail light housings. 

'76 Polaris '02; '76 Granatrot '02 (20th US car built for '76); '76 Schwarz '02 (acquired 9/20/17)

21 hours ago, swizman said:

Thanks to all for these ideas.  I like Steves idea of the window weatherstrip.  I think I'll roll in on that first.  And now that it's mentioned, I did hear about the IV tubing solution.   

BTW, Steve I'm VERY jealous of those clean and shiney tail light housings. 

Thank you, it certainly is a cheap solution but all the suggestions will work rather than paying for OM seals.  There was a whole thread on cleaning up the housings, chrome paint, white pain, and even foil.  Mine were almost black so I painted them with chrome paint, then cut out and laid aluminum plumbers tape on the horizontal sections.

Happy Fathers Day to all the 02ers!

Thanks Steve, I gotta check tail light refurbish that post out...

I'm saving a few of my better ones for the Granatrot resto.  But I have to say Polaris is really trying my patience theses days.  I really thought it would be coming together a lot quicker.