• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found the sorce of the sound, The Throw out bearing!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Put the clucth in, No sound. Release the clutch sound! Ok so what kinda longterm problems am I looking at if I keep driving it? I really dont want to drop the transmission in the rain.

Thanks

Andy

Guest Anonymous

inside your trans.

fixing it asap will avoid lots o possible headaches and sore walkin feet later... ; )

good luck man

Guest Anonymous

Pilots and TOBs can do what they want. I have heard some squeal like Ned Beatty for months and not totally fail. I have heard of some failing with no noise other than the owner of the car swearing.

I drove from Dublin down to SLO with a screaming pilot bearing. No problem other than the gawdaful noise.

I would just keep an eye (or ear) on it. If you feel or hear any differences, that means you have to get in there. Start getting the parts together and clearing a spot to do the work. When the weather turns, you'll be set to go.

Guest Anonymous

pedal is pressed in. Sounds like it might be the pilot bearing, or noisy bearing in the tranny itself. I'd suggest dumping the tranny oil and refilling. I don't know how light an oil is recommended for an E30 tranny, but I'd be tempted to try some Redline MTL.

Regards,

John N

Guest Anonymous

...turned out to be the bracket going from the back of the transmission to the exhaust. Pushing the clutch in just helped remove the noise when idling, probly by letting less vibration transfer though everything...maybe thats the source?

Guest Anonymous

put in the clutch it makes noise if it's a bad throwout bearing. Yours makes noise only when the clutch is out, thats a bad input shaft bearing. Keep an eye out for a replacement tranny, mine lasted a couple years before it failed completely, and only broke when I did a huge burnout attempt.

Guest Anonymous

Not likely TOB for the same reason,though this is less

certain.If,for some reason, the TOB isn`t fully

retracted from the PP, it may be still spinning w/the pedal released.It may make noise when spinning unloaded but not when loaded.(had a nissan that did this)

Sounds more like bad transmission bearings.

Guest Anonymous

Im going to drain and refill the transmission tomorrow. And see if there is a lose mount on the back. But It does sound internal, so I guess I need to find a new tranny. I guess I might as well find an "I" motor while im at it.

Andy

Guest Anonymous

Sorry I don't remember a all of the thread, but one reply you got from RayK noted a very common problem with 325 transmissions. Mine included. Many if not most of them are noisy at idle from the input shaft bearing. This is like a light rattling in my car, but one you can hear with the stereo off. I personally don't consider it a big deal.

Unfortunately Redline oil does not fix this noise.