• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is it about 13" wheels

SydneyTii

15 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

Decisions decision???

7D606CFB-2F74-4B2F-8E3B-7AAEE72909A5.jpeg

I actually like the radial spoke guys.

I've got the baskets on the m2, because they came with the car.  But the whole thing looks a little rough, and no center caps.  (Had a guy walk past it at the C and C we went to a couple of weeks ago- he says, while he's looking at my car,"Sure are a lot of low budget cars here.") YWMV.

• Like 2

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

51 minutes ago, irdave said:

(Had a guy walk past it at the C and C we went to a couple of weeks ago- he says, while he's looking at my car,"Sure are a lot of low budget cars here.")

Was that before or after you were standing on the trunk lid while I was looking to find you.

• Haha 2

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

2 hours ago, Conserv said:

+1

Thank you, Andrew,

And the XAS, although only available in the ‘02’s factory 165HR13 size, is certainly a premium tire as well.

Best regards,

Steve

ooh, how could I forget the XAS? My 02 is sitting on a set right now, I view them as my cruising tires because their absolute grip is limited by the tire width. They are definitely premium....

My bad,

Andrew

• Like 1

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

18 minutes ago, rcf925 said:

AS far as cleaning basket weave, I've always just sprayed  simple green degreaser on them, then used a power washer. 

Power washer for the win! It makes things very easy.

My second line of defense is using these guys -    https://www.autogeek.net/wheel-woolies.html

Best brushes ever!

72'  2002 turbo build - under construction...

2 hours ago, jimk said:

Was that before or after you were standing on the trunk lid while I was looking to find you.

You found me, didn't you?  :)

And well after.  And I'm not faulting him.  In reality, it does kinda' look like a POS.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

14 hours ago, Chris_B said:

Here is one the shows the wheels.

right_front.jpg

Well your wheels are certainly clean!

I remember something like this years ago, seems like a sensible idea, its not like at my geriatric speeds i'm going to need brake cooling :-)

8 hours ago, mlytle said:

been there, used that.   does a fair job, but still requires elbow grease.

Oh boy mlytle you reallllly don't like cleaning them :-) 

I get it, some days i just think there has to be an easier way........ but then the little bastards just look soooo nice! :D

Think I will get tyres for the Octavo's anyway, that way I can alternate.

Steve the BWA's are still in the shed :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SydneyTii said:

Oh boy mlytle you reallllly don't like cleaning them ?

I get it, some days i just think there has to be an easier way........ but then the little bastards just look soooo nice! :D

correct!  I actually use the brakes hard...a lot.  hate cleaning brake dust off.  there is a reason i have M-Contour wheels on my E36 M3 and E46 touring and RB's and Kosei's for my M2...EZ TO CLEAN!  will be looking for another set of M-Contour's for my E30 M3.

Edited by mlytle
  • Like 1

2xM3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Well, the availability of 185/70 13 tires in Europe has dramatically improved overnight. I just looked in Reifendirekt.de where I usually buy tires and there was a whole slew of new tires available for 13" rims...almost spoiled for choice, but no track day tires here....

Tires available in various ratings (and prices, from cheapest to most expensive):

Continental ContiEcoContact 3 185/70 R13 86T 80 EUR

Vredestein Sprint Classic 185/70 R13 86V 151 EUR

Dunlop Sport Classic 185/70 R13 86V 182 EUR

Avon CR6 ZZ 185/70 R13 86H 292 EUR

Michelin Collection XDX 185/70 R13 86V 386 EUR

I have omitted the whitewalls, the Pirellis are not available from them. There are also 18 tires in the low budget segment from companies with odd names...So the choices are actually there....

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

I would think if you were in Germany http://www.oldtimerreifen24.de/Autoreifen/Radial/185-70R14-88V-Pirelli-CN36-TL.html?listtype=search&searchparam=185%2F70r14 would be a no brainer. 

I would suggest along with Michelin it is the best brand.

The CN36 and the XDX are the only period tyres.

The XDX and the CN36 are the only one's that look right

the XDX, CN36 and CR6ZZ are the only ones with the  correct  carcass design.

The CN36 probably weighs coming on for a Kilogram less than the Avon

you might buy t he Continental if price was your only deciding factor.

At € 157 it is a great price

I think Alpina fitted CN36 

Alpina 2002tii spec with CN36.png

IMG_0095.thumb.PNG.55140441e21d3945f7e2b1fe763cfa61.PNG

images (1).jpg

IMG_7333.jpg.6f203ef608e64ab940ada84d73a989c0.jpg

3 hours ago, Longstone Tyres said:

...I would suggest along with Michelin it is the best brand.

The CN36 and the XDX are the only period tyres.

The XDX and the CN36 are the only one's that look right

the XDX, CN36 and CR6ZZ are the only ones with the  correct  carcass design....

Excuse me! The 165HR13 XAS was factory installed on virtually every U.S.-imported ‘02 from 1968 through 1976....

Regards,

Steve

BA18144F-D04B-4CE7-9228-39DA535BCDB5.jpeg

635F0A8A-FBDF-4C56-B633-591F78063172.jpeg

186CADFC-5716-4631-B907-BAC94CFAFE8E.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hi,

I don't have any opinion on most of the tires, just a lot of people have been saying there are no choices in 13", which is just not true. Its another question if you want 13".

I have had the CN36 and the XWX (predecessor of the XDX) on various cars, so I have an understanding of them. 02 owners seem to polarize into the "stick to cheap 13" rubber" or "move to big fat modern rims in 15 or 16 inch sizes for the stance thread".  I welcome the availability of better quality tires from reputable manufacturers in 13" size, because I think a proper 02 on CN36s looks "right", much different to the same car on modern 15" rims, regardless of how pretty the rim is. From what I saw there are around 25 different tires available in different prices and speed ratings in just this size alone. Just trying to bust the myth that there is very limited choice in 13".

Andrew

• Thanks 1