• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is it about 13" wheels

SydneyTii

basketweaves were designed by the devil.  they lure you in with looks, then reduce you to a blubbering blob in the driveway with a brush in one hand and a hose in the other.  impossible to clean, unless you spend 2hrs doing it after every drive.  even after cleaning, they never get really clean.   hate'em.

(i just spent many hours cleaning the original 'weaves on my E30 M3.  i gotta get some better wheels soon and bag and store the originals for car resale "originality".)

the limited selection of 13in tires can be summed up by they have been reduced to being "rim protectors".  some black circular thing to keep the car off the ground while in garage or at C&C's..

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2xM3

39 minutes ago, mlytle said:

basketweaves were designed by the devil.  they lure you in with looks, then reduce you to a blubbering blob in the driveway with a brush in one hand and a hose in the other.  impossible to clean, unless you spend 2hrs doing it after every drive.  even after cleaning, they never get really clean.   hate'em.

the limited selection of 13in tires can be summed up by they have been reduced to being "rim protectors".  some black circular thing to keep the car off the ground while in garage or at C&C's..

Well they do look good, but hell yes they are a complete bastard to clean!! 

Well that was until Meguiar's released the "all wheel" cleaner.

Its amazing....... no really,

Spray it on, and when it really starts working it turns purple, and with a rinse the brake dust is gone.

If you clean your wheels every time, them there really wouldn't be an issue with this stuff, I hadn't cleaned them for weeks, and i must admit to a bit of toothbrush action, but they are now spotless, max 15mins to do the whole car.

I live in Aus and we can still get 13" tyres here, must be all the trailers and little Jap cars :-)

26 minutes ago, mlytle said:

They really are, have that style on my E39 and have a collection of brushes that still dont get them clean.

I have a set of basket weaves from an E30 I was thinking about using on the 02 but have decided to go with the original 13" steelies for now.

Tires mounted are new 185 70 R13 Barum Brillantis. Suspect the owner needed to replace rotted away tires to get it out of storage, on a trailer or some such. 

His total bill for 4 of these including tax was $201 in Jan 2017. Guess I will decide if I can live with them for a while once I actually get rubber to the road.

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

54 minutes ago, mlytle said:

I'm with Marshall on this one, basketweaves look great but they are a bitch to keep clean.  I have a set of 15X7 ET26 basketweaves in my parts bin but I went with an easier set of wheel to clean for my vintage 4 lug BMWs.  The 15X7 ET25 Centra type 11 went on my tii and the 15X7 ET26 Amil (MSW) went on my E30.  They are so much easier to clean than weaves.

IMG_5106.jpg

44402473_10213136246466720_1276938328796561408_n.jpg

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Hi all,

I don't know what all the bitching regarding 13" wheels is about... If you want them of course. I think the 185/70 fills the wheel arches nicely, so too much tire. You have three premium tires to choose from (XDX, Cinturato and Avon) and a sea of others and some real cheapies to boot. What we are currently low on are street legal 13" track day tires...there apparently is something for Avon for a Lotus Super 7 but that is it.

I have the same problem for the 14" basket weaves on my E30, not much to have in 195/65 R14... so have been thinking about 15" alpina replica wheels for that car...

Andrew

• Like 2

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

4 hours ago, Oldtimerfahrer said:

Hi all,

I don't know what all the bitching regarding 13" wheels is about... If you want them of course. I think the 185/70 fills the wheel arches nicely, so too much tire. You have three premium tires to choose from (XDX, Cinturato and Avon) and a sea of others and some real cheapies to boot. What we are currently low on are street legal 13" track day tires...

+1

Thank you, Andrew,

And the XAS, although only available in the ‘02’s factory 165HR13 size, is certainly a premium tire as well.

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)