SydneyTii

What is it about 13" wheels

89 posts / 5620 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

Shared on BMW 2002 fb page

what is it about 13" wheels, still love them on 02's 

There is that sort of roller skate look about some 02's that have 13's and lower profile 60 series tyres, you either love them or you don't!

at least I think they're 13's😜

IMG_0098.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG

IMG_0103.JPG

Edited by SydneyTii
  • Like 3

Hopefully Oz and Europe have a better selection of 13 inch tires than we do here in the US of A...About the only size that's pretty common is a 175/70 x 13 as it's used on alot of older Honda Civics and CRXs.  But that's not the correct size for 02s,  It takes a 185/70 to be the same rolling radius as a 165/80...

mike

Yes they are getting a bit more difficult here but still plenty around. At least the Pirelli is out again, albeit very expensive, well here at least.

i wonder if the tyres were more readily available in the US if people would run 13's more often?

I used to be the guy that wouldn’t run anything under a 15” wheel (even ran 16” Alpinas). I’m addicted to 13’s now! I appreciate the stock look more and more as I go. 

• Thanks 1

(edited)

hmmmm, I don't have any problems getting 165/80R13's.  My local tire guy makes a phone call.  Next day:  there's the tires at his shop.

Granted, they aren't superduperultrahighperformance, but that's not what I want or need.  I want original size that will do the job for driving around town, and that's what I get.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner
  • Like 3

(edited)

Yes, I do believe there are more 165/80R13 options available outside the U.S., but a wide range of 13” tires remains available within the U.S., with prices ranging from $34 (Solar 175/70-13) to $309 per tire (Michelin XDX 185/70-13):

And Scott (member: saaron) recently updated his listing of 13” tires.

The listing is attached to the initial post.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

7 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

Are they 185x70 Paul?

Yes.  Very close rolling circumference to 165x80.  Helps speedo and odometer accuracy.  Slightly balloony, but really nice on the road.  I was expecting heavier steering but experiencing negligible difference.

Longstone Tires, England.  Worldwide free shipping.  8 days to Western Canada.

A little free promo.  Can you tell I like them?

• Like 3

Thinking about going from BBS RM + 205/50/15 to 185/70/13 perhaps on ATS Classics.

I guess getting older equals to giving higher value for more comfortable ride year by year? Also considering stock cam and flywheel but that may be too much :)

• Like 2

"For those of you searching for 13 inch tires, I just bought Solar 175/70-13 for my 13x6 BWA wheels at Walmart. The reviews on these tires are mostly positive"

If you check a fitment chart, I think you'll find a 175 width tire is too narrow for a six inch wide rim.  It'll cause the tread to sit slightly rounded instead of flat due to stretching of the sidewalls to fit on a 6" rim, thus affecting both tire tread wear and handling.  While I suspect the Wally World tire guys weren't quite up on their fitments, I suspect that a "real" tire store would have recommended against fitting those tires on those rims.

mike

Bought a set from Amazon Prime and they arrived free shipping in two days. 

But what do I know 

image.jpeg.c73dadd9149f05c671af5acb8569c33f.jpeg
Federal 595 High Performance Tire ‑ 185/60R13 80H,
$39.98·SimpleTire.comFree shipping, no tax
$46.62·Jet.comFree shipping
$46.62·WalmartFree shipping
$42.89·eBayFree shipping
$44.15·Newegg.com

I have 165 HR 13 XAS Michelin’s on my car. They are available thru Coker tire (for a price, of course). They are even a tubed tire. Ride very smooth. Love them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also have the xas', which are just great, for better grip I have Yokohama A021R in 185/70-13 which fill the wells pretty well...

Andrew