reyes02

My 74’ Automatic 2002

35 posts / 2309 viewsLast Reply

Started the process of replacing the transmission mount, didn’t go as expected. I’ve replaced motor and differential mounts already. Motor mounts from IE fit perfectly, I did go with Condor SS for the diff and trans. Differential was alright fits fine but the trans hardware too short. I do have g240 5speed lined up will swap someday soon but for now I’d like to enjoy the automatic for a bit. Photos attached, yes it’s a mess under the car lol I’ll clean it when the 5 speed goes in. be36922e04edc59e8f39e7afc7e01ac4.heice334e874b17c931133b4462a7be028b5.heicd4a13cae65b8cce451511447f409bb77.heic

- Reyes

(edited)

According to my parts book the manual and automatic transmissions' rear mounts have different part numbers; if the one you bought from Ireland was for a manual tranny, it probably doesn't fit properly.  Suggest you get the correct part from one of the BMW suppliers (like Blunt or Maxmillian--or your friendly dealer).  That should solve your fitment problem.

mike

Edited by mike
  • Like 1

According to my parts book the manual and automatic transmissions' rear mounts have different part numbers; if the one you bought from Ireland was for a manual tranny, it probably doesn't fit properly.  Suggest you get the correct part from one of the BMW suppliers (like Blunt or Maxmillian--or your friendly dealer).  That should solve your fitment problem.

mike

I’d have to drive the car to make sure my “fix” worked. Went and got a longer bolt 5/16in-18x 3-1/2in to be exact. Fits fine but won’t know until I drive it and see if there is any issues. I did however move it from flat sidewalk to my drive way and the jerking from shifting did go away. It’s a mild bump rather than a really aggressive jerk now.
Condor provided grade 8 standard bolts 1/2 or 13mm head either way.

- Reyes

32393c10f884dd770bc1fdf4cdce3d61.heicTook my 02 to work today. Coworker brought out his m5 and another co worker with his 3 series. Got a little hot on the way home. What should I expect when it cools off? Hahaha broken engine? Drove about 5 mins at a little over 3/4 gauge.

- Reyes

You should be fine but investigate flushing your cooling system and a likely blocked radiator. 

• Like 1

983ddd6701fbdec215bef7043dcfbed2.heiccd7e25b06b405bc01ef7e7599db68eda.heic
Finally got around checking the car out after the overheating incident, all good. still runs fine. Today, I adjusted the valves to .008 and started the de smog process. all I’ve got to do now is block off the intake. I do however have a question hopefully someone here can answer. What do I do with the tube that runs underneath the intake? Looks like it leads behind the head. can I remove it or is that somehow attached under the intake? I’m cleaning up the bay it’s pretty dirty and caked but now there is less wires hanging out. I’ll be degreasing and painting misc parts to clean it up a bit. Thanks for reading hopefully I could get a response towards the part under the intake manifold.

- Reyes

(edited)

I am going to say ‘which part?’

Not the vacuum hose from the manifold to the booster? Or the coolant hose from the manifold to the back of the water pump?

you need both of them. 

Edited by Simeon

That looks like your EGR filter which is attached to the rear of your exhaust manifold.. you might need to move your alternator out of the way to remove it. I hope that helps.
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4935432a900149f2f86756db89569e56.jpg
Blocked it off found more trouble
1ec3747fed0d8f387fbc18596710efee.jpg fitting on the intake snapped clean. Coolant line connects from intake mani to head. Cause of overheat from prev update.
e09e28fbef86cfbedafa8cd68c497d57.jpg55e1a6d1ff60336ae80c3da9f1c318e2.jpg
Cleaned up the front and resprayed flat black much easier with the hood off.

Also took my radiator to a local shop near SF, quoted $450 for a recore, no thanks probably will pick up Ireland’s aluminum rad for $325 instead unless anyone here can recommend or refer me to a cheaper alternative.

Thanks for reading!

- Reyes

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, reyes02 said:

056fe2fbfa053294a70d00ed5422d381.jpg
Is this enough space!? scared to start it and destroy the radiator.

- Reyes

Hmm, I would be careful as the tips of the fan blades actually bend towards the radiator. 

I tried to look amongst my photos but my only equivalent shot doesn’t have the radiator in. 

• Like 1