Smallpants

Tranny Swap and More

75 posts / 4349 viewsLast Reply

Now that is a good example of the safety of mechanical pumps. Imagine that with an electric pump at the tank...

• Like 1

Keep at it! These cars have been around a long time and have passed thru various owners who try to keep them going on a budget.  

Scary knowing someone didn't think when installing that speaker.

• Like 1

I think your fuel line is screwed...

I set one on fire once....

t

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Simeon said:

Now that is a good example of the safety of mechanical pumps. Imagine that with an electric pump at the tank...

Exactly the reason why it is dangerous to pressurize the plastic lines and why EFI cars have the lines under the car!

• Like 2

I replaced the fuel line. I tried to start the car with starter fluid and the car will still only fire for a second and shuts down. When I was starting the car I saw gas draw up through the new line so I at least know fuel is heading towards the engine. 

Any thoughts on troubleshooting from here?

Sounds like you are still not getting fuel to your carb. You might want to pull the hose off at the carb, put it into a catch can and crank the motor over to see if anything comes out.

• Like 1

BTW, you can do a quick check on whether you have fuel in your carb by taking the top off of your air cleaner, shining a flashlight down the primary and quickly opening the throttle. If you have fuel, your accelerator pump will provide a squirt of fuel into the barrel you can observe from the top.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris_B said:

Sounds like you are still not getting fuel to your carb. You might want to pull the hose off at the carb, put it into a catch can and crank the motor over to see if anything comes out.

I should have mentioned that I did this. No fuel is getting to the carb. I know gas is being drawn up toward the engine (I can see it in the lines with the carpet out) but for some reason it stops before it gets to the carb. 

My apologies if I have missed the history of your car, WRT fuel problems.

Do you have a fuel filter in line? I presume you are using a mechanical fuel pump. These fuel pumps don't always do the best job of "sucking" the fuel out of the tank. You may need to prime the pump (i.e., suck the fuel up to the level of the pump). Did you ever see the movie "Bananas" with Woodie Allen? There is a scene where there is sucking involved. Anyway, you may need to suck on the fuel hose to get the fuel up to the pump before it will start pumping.

Don't apologize Chris, you're the one helping me and I appreciate it. My thread is becoming long and unwieldy and I think it's unrealistic to expect anyone to be keeping track of all this.

I'm actually thinking about just keeping this thread to document progress and starting new ones to deal with specific questions I have for this very reason. 

I'll try your prime the pump idea and report back tomorrow.

Chris's idea of priming the fuel pump did the trick. I attached some clear tubing to the exit end of the fuel pump and sucked gas to make sure the fuel was getting to the pump. I turned the car over a few times and then it fired up and purred like a kitten. Thanks for the help Chris.

Status update for those interested. My focus has now turned to the interior. The original plan for the interior this summer was to delete the back seats, install a roll bar, new Esty carpet kit and put in sportier seats. Some of the budget for those things has been eaten away by cost over runs (i.e. insturment cluster) and project creep (i.e. full exhaust) so this summer project is probably going to bleed into fall. 

One thing I had not been planning on tackling this summer was the broken sunroof. But it seems to make more sense to do it now. Putting a new headliner in, which I'll do once the sunroof is fixed, will be a lot easier without the rollbar installed. So next on the agenda will be the sunroof and headliner. 

I'm going to keep this thread for exclusively updating progress on the car and start posting specific questions I have in new threads.