• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intalled a Crane XR-700 this weekend; very pleased so far...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

...at least it still runs!

It wasn't exactly an hour job for me, especially once I drove down to my friend's house to borrow a 4-40 tap (the mounting hole on my optical sensor wasn't threaded, and I couldn't get the little screw to cut threads on its own without flopping over sideways) and biked to the hardware store to buy some 1/8" drill bits for pilot holes for the mounting screws (I'd killed my old bits on my suspension redo). But it was an enjoyable morning project without major problems.

I mounted the box just forward of the washer bottle, where it seemed pretty protected. The wires reach, but the loom going to the distributor doesn't have enough slack to fit in all of the factory holddown clips -- I could have used an extra 6-8" or so. It's not stretched tight or draped across the engine, so I can live with it.

And I used my stock, 33-year-old coil, so I had to cut the wires running to the coil and swap female 1/4" connectors for the ring connectors -- the terminals on the coil were permanently fastened to it, but at least there was a spare terminal on each side.

The car fired up afterward and runs fine -- no worse than before, and the hesitation when first getting on the throttle is gone, which makes for smoother driving from stop lights. Dunno if that was thanks to the Crane or to readjusted timing.

All in all, I'm pleased. The unit was $110 from Bimmer Parts, bought last fall.

-Dave

Colorado '71

Guest Anonymous

Dave,

Hugo has the Crane XR-700 system also...was on the car when I found him wrecked. After sitting in a salvage yard over the winter, I cranked him up and the engine came to life almost immediately!!!! That says wonders about the Crane system in my book.

As for the location of the electronic unit, I also mounted mine just in front of the washer bottle. I used some of that black coiled plastic wire loom holder stuff to put all the wires in...and it made for a really clean looking job, especially with the newly painted Chamonix white engine bay. I also have the original coil in Hugo, but I might install the spare new Red Coil simply because it looks cool! :-)

Happy '02ing,

John

'72tii "Hugo"